add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build Ever. Please help?

shumm0

61 months ago

I'm attempting to build a gaming rig. I'm tired of dealing with setting everything to low. This computer will be used for gaming and video streaming. Am I spending too much and/or do I have enough storage for it?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated. Happy Holidays!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p2VrWZ

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

only audiophiles need sound cards (knock it off and get a GTX 970), Z97 is better than Z87, and do you really need a 500Gb SSD? most people just use their SSD as a boot drive.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $215.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $155.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $70.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $104.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $339.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case $112.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $76.66 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $99.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1293.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-26 20:52 EST-0500

like this

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok... Your WAY over spending on the gpu. The only Nvidia cards worth buying are the 970 and 980. That 760 costs as much as a 280x or 290, and is FAR weaker than both. I'll get back to gpus in a second...

The cpu cooler... If you plan to over clock, get a better one. If you don't plan to over clock, you can use the stock Intel cooler the cpu comes with.

The ssd... You are WAY over spending here... There's almost no benefit to overall system performance from an ssd aside from loading Windows a few seconds faster or very large game levels a little faster. Stick with a 120-256gb size and save a ton of cash. Install most games and apps to the regular hard drive.

Sound card... Unless your doing professional music production and use ungodly expensive speakers (think around $1k speaker system), there's no need for one. Your motherboard has extremely good sound built in already.

The power supply... For a weak card like the 760, you can do with 600w and still have great overhead for a cpu over clock... The 750w you chose is ideal if you get an amd card of a 280x, 290, or 290x.

Now,since your saving alot of money, you have more for the gpu, so... In order of best to worst, price considered, look at these gpus: 980, 290x, 970,290,280x. Don't bother with any models lower than these. The sweet spot is the 970,which you should pair with at least a 600w psu, followed by a 290, which you want a 750w psu for.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube