add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

WORKSTATION (Upgradable in the future) - Need a bit of guidance

ragaz

61 months ago

Helo Everyone!

First time poster, first time builder (so excuse me for my lack of knowledge or irrelevant questions or bad english - not my native language). I am looking to build a entry-level future-proof workstation for CAD, rendering and adobe CS purposes with upgradability in mind.

BUDGET: cca. 1000€ (I realize most of you are from the states so around 1220 US Dollars would be what I am wealing to spend - maybe more if there are good arguments for pushing the budget)

CPU Picked what i think was the best (read: new) CPU on the market Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core (on second tought maybe Core i7-3770 would be beter). Was looking at the i7 5820k 3,3GHz 6-core but the cost of it and other components (4x RAM card mainly) that would have been required turned-me-off. If someone could point me in the right (still in the budget) direction for the 5820 I will appreciate it. Q: Why arent these two card listed in the benchmarks? Are they that new or are they not ment to be used for my purpuses?

CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid - Planing to do a little OC (especiali if I oppt for the 5820k) and this one seem to do a good job at keeping the CPU at normal temp.) Any tips for instalation? If you know of a cheaper sistem let me know.

GPU Nvidia Quadro K620 2Gb Ddr3 Dvi Dp Lp by PNY convinced me with a reasonable price and it seems to be a good entry-level card. It has Maxwell as apose to Kernel and twice the CUDA of K600 and with 2GB of RAM is getin closer to Quadro k2000 (the card I originali wanted).

MOBO MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Honestly - I just used the PcPartPicker filters to narow it down and this one had the most SATA 6 Gb/s plugs (if they are called that) so i grabed it. Would appriciate some guidance.

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 I think 16GB is enough for know - did some math (dont know if correct - latance/speed, multiplied by 2000, to get nanosecond intervals) and this was the best for the buck... or €.

STORAGE - got to have storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" SSD - It is what most builds use (must be a reason). Will upgrade in the future to a 250GB but now SSDs are still somewhat expenssive. +Western Digital Se 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Power Supply
Enermax 530W ATX12V - is this enough? Is this too much? IDK

CASE Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Well... it was love at first site.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor $318.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.98 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $165.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Se 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Directron
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION X't 530W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Other Nvidia Quadro K620 2Gb Ddr3 Dvi Dp Lp by PNY $205.00
Other Windows 7.0 Purchased
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1239.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-26 22:04 EST-0500

If any of you know where is the best place to order parts in Europe plese PM me or comment below. Everything in my conutry is overpriced due to small market. So that`s it from me. I am looking forward to reading your coments and toughts on this shoping list. Thank you in advace.

Greatings and happy hollydays from Slovenia.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

rendering and adobe CS purposes with upgradability in mind.

I would get an Intel Xeon if I was rendering and using Adobe Products.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

WOW that was fast.

Thank you for commenting.

Which one would you recomend? Aren`t Xeons realy expencive?

EDIT: you woldn`t hapen to know wich benchmark is most realative for these purposes?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Which one would you recomend? Aren`t Xeons realy expencive?

The one that's essentially a locked 4790k without an integrated GPU is actually cheaper

Can't remember which one that is, though

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

4790k without an integrated GPU

so i have googled a bit and

xeon 1230v3 = basically a 4770K (without the iGPU and overclocking possibilities)

Did you mean this one?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Believe so, yes

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Did some more home work and decided to go for a Xeon e3 1240 v3 (there is the 1241 v3 which is 1 year younger but cant tell the difference).

Thanks for replying

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, I just learned something. G3D scores according to Passmark from lowest to highest: K2000: 1669 4000: 1932 K620: 2250

I've been putting Quadro 4000s purchased from eBay in my builds. Looks like now that the new line has come out, that has been eclipsed as the value leader by the K620. It'll also have factory warranty and won't require patience. Excellent.... now time to go adjust my builds!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

what CPUs are you usualy using?

I was advised to lean towards Xeons (apparently they are better for rendering/adobe cs - do you find this to be true?).

But Xeons in the similar price range as 4790k or. 4770k dont support RAM speeds higher than 1600... not sure where i was going with that... maybe you can shed some light on the nature of different CPUs for renderings (3d-max, keyshot, photorealistic renders) and adobe cs (photoshop, etc.)

P.S. I dont know what you have learned :) the k4000 stil outperforms k620 (as i see it the k620 is basically the new k2000). So what are you planing to adjust?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't do rendering or Adobe for work so I can't really advise you that well. What I can tell you is that people tell me that for CAD work the big Xeon workstations aren't any faster-feeling than a regular CPU. But they can open bigger models without bogging which is probably mostly due to more RAMs and better GPUS (with more RAMs). So for CAD work, and I'd bet this applies to CS also, it's more important to look at the single-threaded performance.

The last few builds I've done for work were i5, which works great for what we do, probably plenty future-proof, and not as costly as the i7 so probably our sweet-spot. I'm playing around with an OC'd g3258 at home but I haven't tried to run CAD on it yet though it's installed.

My view on it is that a CPU is a CPU is a CPU in general though -- and Xeon is just a marketdroid name. Watch the machines you have vs. a given application, and look up the specs for the software, and buy a CPU that supports the number of cores that will be used. Use the Passmark benchmarks to determine what is better bang for the buck (or bang if that's mostly important), and flavor it toward the use, for example lean toward something with a massive CPU mark rating if it's primarily a rendering station, if it's mostly for console use lean toward something with high single thread rating and consider OC-able CPUs, XMP-able RAM, and one-click OC boards since that directly improves the speed of the computer on typical interactive tasks.

As for what I learned about video cards... I never go by "where the card is in the line" or anything like that, I go by available data - and I'm not too concerned about which generation a card is from either. Those numbers I pasted say the K620 has a higher G3D score than a 4000 (note: not a K4000) and it has the same RAMs, therefore it's faster. And it costs less than you can get a used 4000 for. Therefore it's a better value. But no, it's not as fast as a K4000 - but that's not the card I've been using because the quadro 4000 (from the previous generation to the k4000), bought used, was a better value. But not anymore. So based on that I already adjusted all my saved parts lists.

I don't know about Xeon motherboards, but all the OCing motherboards for i5/i7 can enable XMP and use faster RAM, and data I've seen says that it's an advantage which is why I've planned -2400 RAM for my builds. Also using it in the g3258 machine I'm on right now. Since I haven't run it OC'd without XMP on I can't tell you if it makes a difference, but I can say that with OC, XMP, and an SSD system drive the thing is satisfying to use as an interactive/console type machine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube