add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time builder, GTX 970, ~1000€

D0L4NDUKE

61 months ago

Hey everyone,

My name is Flo, 24 yrs old and living in Austria. I'm quite new to the PC-building world, so I want to get as many tips, critics and opinions on my build as possible. I have done a lot of research over the last 2 months, and the idea to build my own PC grew stronger as I discovered the thrill that lies in building it on your own, choosing everthing by yourself. I have been gaming for about 2 years now (mainly FPS), but on a laptop, which is not the best experience overall :).

So first of all, here is my built so far:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/D0L4NDUKE/saved/gTjbt6

I havent bought anything yet, as I still want to get a lot of opinions on it, and I'm kinda hoping that prices will drop now that christmas is over.

I have chosen the GTX970, as I got a lot of recommendations for it and as I can play most games, that are out right now, on high settings, perhaps even in 2 years. I won't buy it from MSI though (as it is in my list), but have laid my eyes on the phantom version from Gainward (which is not in the list here on pcpartpicker). That is also why I will take the Asrock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard, and not the extreme3 one, cause I need 3 PCIe slots for it. A for the other parts, I have gone mostly with the customer ratings in online shops and some internet research.. as i said, i'm very new to everything and have to learn it all by myself.

My budget is around 1000€, which is why i hope that prices will still drop - all the parts are much more expensive in germany/austria than in the US (which means, they cost about the same in € and in $, the gtx970 here is around 340$, in Austria it goes for around 320€, while 340$ would only be 280€ on the current money-market (?! bad english, sorry)). Is this something I can realistically hope for? Also, I will still have to buy a monitor, a keyboard and a WLAN-adapter.

Tips from other germans/austrians on where to buy would be very appreciated, too. I have a few sites, but am still hoping there are better ones..

I'm very glad and thankful for every comment from you all, and please excuse my bad english..

Greetings, Flo

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LM4wHx

Better SSD, HDD, and CPU

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your reply! I read about Seagate HDDs, that they have a way higher crashing rate than those from Hitachi.Anything you know about that? Also, can you tell me what exactly is better about the SSD? As for the CPU, I'm not really comfortable with overclocking, or I just don't know if I'll ever do it. Also, are the 0.2 GHz worth the 20€ I'd have to pay more?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Seagate HDDs do not have a higher crashing rate.

Source: My dad who's been an IT guy for 30 years.

MLC SSDs have higher performance than TLC SSDs

About the CPU: Cheaper and higher performance, simple.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, thank you a lot man!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube