add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Whatchu think about this build aimed at running an Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q at 120 hz on ultra?

RevInDes

61 months ago

What's up everyone, thanks for reading.

I'm building a multipurpose dual-boot workstation (graphic and video editing, software dev, game, etc) that needs to be able to run an Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor at at least 120hz, and I need some help since I'm a first time builder.

Here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RevInDes/saved/DjbcCJ

Major priority is upgradability and compatibility for future builds.

Since I'm new to building (not PCs) my question is, how would you do it better?

Price is not a major issue, but I am going for the best value given that I'm dropping a good amount on this PC.

All feedback is very welcome, and thanks!

Brian

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

CPU: Awesome! No need to change CPU cooler: no! I personally stay away from AIO's. I'd get a Dark Rock Pro 3 or a Nh-D15 for less money and quieter and better performance. RAM: good, but if you get a dual tower you will need low profile ram. Storage: get a single SSD over two in RAID 0. It's more reliable and safer unless you get a raid controller card. For the HDD, I have never heard of Hitachi, I would go with WD. GPU: good manufacturer, choose the two you what. Case: good solid case Power supply: umm, I wouldnt. I tagged a good PSU for you at that price. Optical drive: it's samsung, probably going to be good Monitor: I decided to not buy it, but I have head wonderful things!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $54.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $174.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $219.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $779.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 18:37 EST-0500

The name is Matt, you can ask me any questions. Btw, mixing manufacturers is fine and you shouldn't need any case fans. If you get some I reccomend Noctua or BeQuiet! fans that are silent and good priced.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Awesome, thanks Matt. Updated the build. My last question is whether I should consider a different mobo. I don't have any specific additional ports, just looking for something solid to support the other components I have chosen. Thanks again.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

The Gigabyte should be solid but I personally prefer ASUS boards. What are your reasons for needing 120 Hz, it seems very overkill. If you don't overclock you can take the two fans off the cooler and put a system fan on the CPU Fan header instead

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks again Matt. Do you have an ASUS board you'd recommend? I see a bunch that are similar to the Gigabyte, but I can't tell which is comparable. As for the 120hz, yes, certainly a high end feature, but one of the primary goals of this build, which has a minimum price point of $2500 USD, max of about $3500 USD. As I understand it, the two GTX 980s are necessary to get 120hz, which replace the two lesser cards I had been planning on using. I went for 1440p over 4k since it is also a workstation and font rendering on 4k isn't great at the moment. Thanks also for the fan config recommendation. I've been going through a lot of other builds/part lists on the site to get other ideas, feel free to point me to one if you think there's a better approach.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

I love 1440p also, don't go 4K, up scaling is pretty bad. You might also want to consider going to the X99 Haswell-E platform that I am currently on, the two extra cores (4threads) will be a huge boost in the workstation applications. Here is the MOBO I built in a friends pc with two fans tagged that I regard highly due to good performance and silence.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $189.98 @ Newegg
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan $24.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan be quiet! SilentWings 2 60.4 CFM 140mm Fan $23.90 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $238.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 12:01 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Also, what are you planning on running at 120Hz? Applications, games, videos, etc...

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Planning on running applications and games at 120hz. I also decided to go with 2 250GB SSD instead of the single 500GB SSD. I'm dual-booting not doing a RAID config, so I wanted to try out OSs on separate drives, unlike the current dual-boot machines I have that run off of one. I realize that for not over-clocking I probably don't need all the fans, I'm trying to set myself up to have that option in the future when I get more comfortable with the build. I'm pretty happy with the parts list at the moment, I have a few final questions before I order the parts. Of course, thanks again for your help.

1. Should I get a fan controller?
  2. If I went with the X99 chipset, which CPU, Mobo, and RAM (if different) would you recommend?
  3. If you see any problems with the current saved build, let me know.
  4. I assume PCPartPicker gets the click-through revenue when I use the yellow "buy" buttons, If I need to do anything else, let me know. I love this site and the community, and want to help support it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube