add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Modest Nvidia-based KSP STREAMING PC - Does this look good?

Avera9eJoe

61 months ago

Hello everyone, Avera9eJoe here.

I am planning out a new computer for under $800 made for streaming Kerbal Space Program, a G-RAM intensive game. I know I need a beefier graphics card than other requirements but is there anything special I need?

Here is my CURRENT (being upgraded) list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Undullingblade/saved/hHnj4D

Any information you can give me would be useful.

P.S. I'll give you a shout out in stream if you answer anything useful!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Good, although I have a 760k and I can assure you it struggles to do streams. I myself do DayZ, CSGO etc. and I have to run Xsplit, Dxtory, and the game all at once. My frames drop to 15 in some cases and I'm not happy :( so if I were you I would go with an FX-8350 or if you can an i5. To make up for price I would change to an R9 270X, as it's close in performance.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... the motherboard has an FM2 port instead of an AM3 so that processor wouldn't fit :/. You are suggesting I upgrade my processor by a step judging by the market. Thanks a ton. Definitely mentioning you!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If you do Shadowplay you might be able to manage with the 760K.

DISCLAIMER: I do not know of anyone who has tried this.

EDIT: Oh wow. uh nvm your playing KSP. If the Physics are truly intensive as I've heard. Then you might want to downgrade the 760 and RAM and get a FX 8320 CPU.

Make it so that KSP takes 4 cores and your encoder another 4.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Shadowplay will not work with AMD based GPUs and APUs. You need an dedicated Nvidia GPU where it's getting the game rendered on.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Uh lol his part list mentions a 760.

AMD has raptr but I wouldn't trust it. At this point I'm just worried KSP might not be able to run well on the 760K and the GPU won't really do much to help.

I guess he can downgrade to the 750ti, downgrade PSU, downgrade RAM and take off the SSD so that he can get a faster INTEL or AM3+ AMD chip. Maybe get a cheap capture card off of Ebay or something. Not sure how the streaming bit would work.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If he goes to 760 then it will be a waste of money. AMD R9 270 gives the same performance on a lower price point.

Tbh the primary problem in the KSP is not really the CPU because it's kind of throttled for the time being. The 32-bit limitation is just insane, and though CPU power is required (especially when you blow everything up), it's more of a fact that the game will crash anyway due to memory exhaustion. Of course, an APU will not be able to stream that (well, more CPU power needed), but until the stable 64-bit version comes out (which will never unless they move on Unity 5), it's more of the player style, mods installed, and the complexity of the spacecraft.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Save on the gpu, ssd, stick with stock fan and get a better CPU (ie fx 8320) or go intel

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Stock fan for the CPU?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The default cpu cooler that comes in the box...

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

KSP is limited in terms of architecture, so the cap for the game is 3.5GB of RAM, and the interesting thing about it is it loads everything at the beginning of game to allow seamless transition between ships, so faster RAM is beneficial too. The biggest trouble I find with it is the physics. The GPU can handle it np bug not the CPU. And a athlon will not be able to handle the game especially when it gets on a very advanced stage (Hello there Zisteau and EE). My recommendation is to get a better CPU (At least FX-6300, i5 are recommended), and for the same price of the 760 you can get R9 280 which performs at a 770 range.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Does this list look better (Downgraded GPU, Upgraded CPU)? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mnc7nQ

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

Nvidia can't outperform AMD when at the same price tag:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mpqgK8

Put a FX-6300, I ain't sure about motherboard because I lack proper knowledge about AMD.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You didn't upgrade the CPU. Thats a MUCH worse cpu mate. Price =/= Performance.

Huehuehue.

A true upgrade would be to the FX 6300 (need a different mobo) or FX 8320.

Your only real options lie outside of the FM2 line of motherboards if your looking to upgrade

The 760k/860k are fine CPUs but My experience with KSP is limited and something suggests you need more CPU power.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

This list is currently being upgraded: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Undullingblade/saved/hHnj4D

Is this looking better?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Not entirely. I mean objectively its better but I don't think it accomplishes all your main goals.

You still want a far more powerful CPU. I think the SSD can be a future upgrade. Boot times are nice but if you're on a budget it might not be necessary.

Also the is purely esthetics but I can see how you'd want to spend 100 on the case in this budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7jBdt6

Sample AMD build

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube