add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

my first 1500 dollar gaming pc build, plz help

benimmer

61 months ago

I have a low end 500 dollar packard bell notebook and I want a better gaming experience. So I made a 1500 dollar build, it is my first build so the odds are sygnificant that i have made some compatibility mistakes and that I don't have the optimal pc for the money that i am putting into it. that's why I would greatly appreciate it if people who know more about it would check the compatibility and/or would try to improve it. I choose the cpu because it is an intel and it has 4 GHZ (that's pretty high as far as I know), so that means I kinda realy want to leave that cpu in the build if possible. For the video card i'm not realy sure if i choose the right one because I don't really know what to look for in a video card , so tips concerning the video card would be extra appreciated! for the power supply it's the same as with the video card. but most important is if someone would bother to dubble check if everything is compatible!

this is the link to the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KTGDf7

And as a last question, do you think it can play the most demanding games of this moment on ultra 1080p with 60+ fps? Already thanks alot! -Benimmer

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

To tell you the truth its a bit over kill for gaming. Intel releases new procesors almost every year. 2015-2016 intel will release broadwell than skylake by 2018 which is 3 years from now the procesor you bought i7-4790k will probobly be inefficient compared to the procesors half it's price at 2018. Kinda like now when todays i5-4460 (182$) beats i7-920 (284$) in single and multi threaded applications. On Tom's Hardware article anything past i5-4690 will give you deminishing returns price to performance in gaming.

It's have been a long time since MHZ acctually means you getting full performance boost of that clock, not so much now thats why you see a 3.2Ghz Intel beating AMD at even 4.8GHz.

I would recommend lowering down to Xeon 1231v3 which is actually i7-4770 performance wise but is way cheaper. If you wanna save a bit more it would be better to just pick i5-4590.

If your choosing Xeon 1231v3 or non (K) CPU's than there is no need for z97 motherboard, cheaper H97 will be more than enough

The brand and the speed of the ram you choose is good one but capacity is a bit to much, no game uses all 8Gb's and from 2015 onwards the DDR4 will come in to play and DDR3 will become old tech. So for Gaming usage 8Gbs is more than enough.

For SSD pick rather Crucial MX100 or UltraII.

for HDD WD blue is more than enough, WD RED is only if your planing putting it in raid.

Gold PSU in this kinda build is silly since the difference in efficiancy between bronze and gold is only 5%. If your planing on building power efficiant Build than make whole build that uses less power not just PSU. The XFX 550w is cheaper and has more than enough juice to power your build on top of that it's made by Seasonic so quality is top stuff.

GPU is good.

By changing to what i said you will probobly save over 300$+ and your Gaming performance won't really suffer.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks alot! So you think xeon cpu would be just as good? Because overkill is kinda what i want, I want to be able to play the best looking games also in about 5 years or so, is that all possible with te cheaper cpu, and motherboard? Also i am going for 16 gb ram because i will probably be multitasking and I also want to play the most demanding games in 2018.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Xeon 1231v3 based on it's performance it's the same as i7-4770 which for gaming is more than enough except it costs way less than i7-4770. Whats gonna make a difference with high rank cpu is the GPU since it's a bit more important GTX 970 is currently best price/performance ratio from AMD it's R9 290 (non x)

In 5 years you can forget about playing best looking games on best details with nice frame rates by than you will probobly wanna change it. Sure you will be playing games in 5 years but it's gonna be inneficient in performance compared to processors and GPU's thats gonna be half it's price in 5 years.

Multitasking if you mean having couple of web pages open + skype + movie playing + gaming 8gb is still enogh. DDR3 is gonna be obsolite in 2018 in that year DDR4 is gonna be runing the scene.

Anything you buy right now is gonna be inneficient in 2018, why? becuase technology and procesors are improving so fast each year they become better.

It's better to think about whats good now and games in 1-2 years

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! That helps me out alot! You are da real mvp!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

oh, and by the way, what motherboard do you mean with h97 more specificley?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

leocracko, i have changed it, what do you think of it now?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube