add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$2.5k build looking to improve on the parts

mwaxx

61 months ago

I use it for primarily for gaming, video editing, and programming. So yes I'll overclock the machine.

I want it to last me 5 to 8 years. So i'm looking for durability and expandability in the future.

Is there a way for me to improve some of the parts? If so please state your reasoning why and prove why it's better than the one I picked.

Thank you!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $319.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-X 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $138.00 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $239.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $159.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $218.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $162.09 @ NCIX US
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $549.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Monitor QNIX QX2710 Matte 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $349.90 @ Newegg
Case Fan Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan $17.84 @ OutletPC
Speakers Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers $113.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2640.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 06:04 EST-0500

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

that motherboard doesn't justify its price - you could get 2 for that price

that case is naff and ugly. There are many others for a better quality and price

that monitor is only 60hz, you should get more woth that kind of gpu otherwise you're not making the most of it

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The monitor is 1440p, which is why.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of motherboard should I get that will be reliable but not to expensive?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Asrock extreme 4 and 6. You can't really go wrong with asus a or pro or if you want their ROG range which is a bit more expensive..personaly I have the maximum ranger but that's because it was on offer

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

ASUS GTX 980 STRIX is a great alternative for 0dB on certain non demanding games, evga has some coil whine by reports

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

5~8 years? You might be able to get that longevity from a X99 system (up to 64~128GB DDR4 ram, usually has a M.2 drive connection, 6~8 core CPU + hyperthreading, can usually handle 3~4 GPUs at x8 or better, costs a bunch...) but I think a Z97 build might be a bit limited for a 5~8 year timespan.

As for durability, unless you happen to just treat the computer badly, it should be fine under normal use. Best idea would be to get some case fan filters to keep dust out.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes up to 8 years since I won't be buying a new one after 5-8 years from now so i'm making each penny count.

Good idea about the fan filters. Will those lessen the air flow inside the case?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

So, here's a X99 build that may fit in your specifications... And comes in at just 60.31$ over budget.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $373.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler $79.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $375.48 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $255.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $169.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $162.09 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card $564.99 @ NCIX US
Case Rosewill RISE Glow ATX Full Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $271.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2560.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-30 12:46 EST-0500

My thoughts used in creating it:

• i7-5820k has 6 cores, is unlocked, and can be found pretty cheaply, assuming you have a MicroCenter near you (MC sells them for ~300$).
  • A nice large air cooler. All-in-one/closed-loop-coolers are, while good, not really built for 5~8 year use and have that rare problem of leaking; air coolers are relatively long lived (no moving parts aside from the fans, which can easily be replaced) as long as you keep it cleaned/dust free.
  • X99-Deluxe motherboard. Has a bunch of nice features, such as an added fan expansion card, a M.2 to PCIe card (if you don't want to use the MB's socket), wireless antenna (don't have to buy a separate one and take up a PCI/USB slot), has an "OC socket" for better overclocking ability, up to 3-way SLI/Crossfire (4-way doesn't see that big of a difference anyway). Also comes with a program that allows you to do multiple "optimization" activities, such as controlling the fans to produce low-no noise or overclocking.
  • Some low-profile ram to fit under the cooler. This is the only major "drawback" to this system, as to add/change ram, you need to remove the cooler to do so, which requires a re-application of thermal paste. As the "best" thermal paste is only ~10$, it's not that big a deal. As for the type of ram, DDR4, you're paying a bit of a premium right now as it's new, but as it's the next standard, it should have some price drops in the future. As for DDR4 itself, it has some great improvements over DDR3, such as being quad-channel, as well as the possibility of going up to 64~128GB total.
  • A SSD for your OS and major programs. Went with the "Pro" version for the longer (10yr) warranty.
  • A pair of 3TB HDDs for storage of media/minor programs. Went with "Black" series for the longer warranty (5yr).
  • A GTX 980 video card. Top of the line right now. I prefer ASUS, so went with their model; several of them are in the same price range, so you could swap them out if you want.
  • Aside from the combo discount, this case comes with a few fans and has built-in filters for easier cleaning.
  • The PSU can handle another GTX 980 right away, or in the future. It is also modular, to help with the build and any future additions; just don't lose the unused cables.
  • Basic optical drive for any disks you have.
  • A nice 1080 monitor. Can change the height, swivel, tilt or pivot to suit your viewing habits. As it's only 1080, the GTX 980 will have you at high/ultra/max for most games, at which the 144hz refresh rate should shine.

As for expandability, worst case (such as if Intel doesn't release any more CPUs for this socket), you can get an i7-5960x with 8 cores or a Xeon with up to 14 cores (currently available). It is expected that Intel's Broadwell will have another batch of CPUs for this socket, as well as possibly Skylake... The MB handles up to 3-way SLI, for future graphics cards. The case can handle a second PSU, so if you didn't want to swap out the PSU when adding a third card, or changing them all for high-demand cards, you can add a dedicated PSU for them.

Anyway, hope this gives you an idea into a possible alternative.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it but the case is such a drag when I saw it but it's more used for its function.

I'd like to see the benchmark on the CPU cooler you recommended, also what do you think of Noctua NH-D15 for a cooler?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The PH-TC14PE series (comes in multiple colors so has varying _XX suffix) is about the same as a Noctua NH-D15/14. They're massive heatsinks with a pair (one outside, one in the middle) of large fans that rival most AIO coolers in performance (and price). The main reason I went with the Phanteks model is because I have an almost identical setup (CPU, MB, Cooler, RAM) and that it fits, works well (quiet, only 20C higher than ambient when at [personal/non-benchmark] peak usage) and allows you to change colors (since many seem to dislike Noctua Brown). The only issue I have heard of Noctua coolers on X99 boards is that there is a clearance issue on some/most MBs (not the Deluxe) with the first PCI slot (I would assume the Phanteks model may also have the same issue, but as it's not as widely used...).

As for a comparison, you can take a look at this review of the D15, which compares it to the Phanteks. http://www.kitguru.net/components/henry-butt/noctua-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review/6/

Hope this helps you out.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I've tweaked the build a bit and added liquid cooling, a different case, and monitor.

Type Item Price
CPU *Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $373.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler *Swiftech H220-X 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $138.35 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $372.80 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $239.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $169.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $162.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $549.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Wasabi Mango QHD275 SUPREME 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $309.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2596.79
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-01 08:18 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't clean them out, yea. Depending on where the computer is (on carpet, for instance) you should clean them out every few months.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube