add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Reasonable Livestreaming/Gaming/Editing build

Moop1337

61 months ago

So I've always dreamed of building a gaming computer, though medical bills in the future are throwing that reality into little more than a dream. So as much as I'd like to go out all with an i7, I have to be realistic - even though I probably won't get this anyways, this is probably the closest to what I can afford. I was aiming for somewhere around a thousand, but with the dual monitors that doesn't seem feasible for the tasks I'd like to do, so I moved the budget to $1250 because that's the cost of the bicycle I'd like to purchase - another hobby I've had to put off for the time being.

The goal was something I could livestream on twitch on, with the eventual possibility of content creation for youtube in the uneventful chance viewers were consistent enough for it, as oversaturated as the market has became. Overall, I'm not too happy using a chip as old as the 8320, but it still seems like a strong performer when overclocked, and it has enough threads editing shouldn't be too bad. As per the GPU, I'd probably be best off with the 960 Strix (=P) once it comes out since I'll be waiting years for this anyways. That way I can have less CPU load with the NVidia streaming for twitch feature. The 970 just seems like it would be overkill without $300+ displays.

Overall, how do you feel about this build? Would it be up to what I want to do with it? What would you change?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $132.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler NZXT HAVIK 120 75.8 CFM CPU Cooler $49.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $113.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $63.98 @ Newegg
Memory Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $63.98 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $77.75 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $249.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case $65.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $149.99 @ Best Buy
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $149.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1239.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 09:24 EST-0500

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Your list looks really good. One thing that I would advise you is that you might run into problems with the ram and cpu cooler. That ram is a little tall and will touch the cooler. Besides this the new 960 will be performance cut from the 290. The 960 is supposed to be in between a 770 and a 760 replacement just as the 970 was supposed to be between the 770 and 780.

Also the 960 will drop the middle of Q1 or February just like the amd new cards.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks - it means a bit considering I have your list of favourites favourited. =P

How do you know that the RAM heatsinks will hit the CPU cooler? It seems like CPU coolers designed for tall RAM usually feature one 120mm and one 135mm or 140mm fan, and both of the fans on that cooler are already 120mm. Do you know any other fans that would be good for this colour scheme, and would keep me in my budget? I could something like Dark Rock 3 and throw on the second fan, which would be preferable to the Noctua with it's weird tan hues, but at that point, I'm only $10 away from the Dark Rock Pro 3 which is dual tower. That'd make me have to go with a different case though. Is it even worth going with a quiet CPU cooler when the build contains a 290, or are the non-reference designs not all that loud?

Do you think the the 290 will result in a net cut from the 960 when livestreaming though, since the 960 will have nvidia's streaming, and the 290 does not?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is an image of what i mean, the redline is just about the same height of the blackline. http://static.pcinpact.com/images/bd/news/107032-havik-120-nzxt-tweaktown.png

Other fans would be nzxt, noiseblockers, and corsair sp fans.

Also for the cpu cooler its really up to how you feel about it. Having a cooler cpu is better but some coolers only help by a few degrees.

Lastly, that 290 should be quieter than most 290's. Except the sapphire ones they know how to cool a card. Non reference cards usually are quieter but they will all give out a lot of sound when you put a high load on them. The 290 is already in a good spot. Most of them are getting phased out for the new amd cards that are coming out. Nvidia streaming is just another streaming service, amd's version is raptr but its not that popular. Really its just for advertisment and you might as well be using obs(open broadcasting software), fraps, or dxtry.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube