add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build - workstation for heavy photoshop / lightroom manipulation.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, you've forgot the gpu and I would go up on the psu. I would spend the money on a EVGA 750W G2 instead. Much better unit and will be quieter than the CX. What are you driving in terms of a monitor? You might need a 970 or 290X. That's $300-350 more dollars.

You're paying a premium for that 850 pro. I might trade that off for a 512gb MX100 to get the size but that's really a flip of a coin. There's certainly nothing wrong with the Samsung.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the reply!

i was under the impression that i didn't need a gpu that the video on the motherboard was fine. Are you saying that is incorrect?

why do you say i might need a 750w psu? in the builds that i saw while researching all had a very basic one.

thanks for the information! im trying to learn as much as i can. its hard just by reading.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I screwed up! I thought that the Xeon chips didn't have the onboard graphics. Wrong! Stick with the onboard for now and save for later. Make sure that you double up on ram tho. The onboard graphics use your ram as the vram that you see on the gpus so making sure you have plenty while you're in PS is only wise. Min 16gb and if you can swing it go to 32gb. It allows you to ignore those issues of slowdowns or slow screen redraws. On my system I have 16gb and a 23" monitor with the onboard and it's just dandy. I'm not a gamer tho. Once you go 4K a new gpu will be in the works.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Kool! At least my first research was right. After your post though I found more info at adobe that says that the new ps engine can actually use a gsu and work better. So, I may have to look at that again anyway.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

AA far aa the memory, I choose 16g right now. Everything I found said should be good but to your point, choose the motherboard so could expand to 32g. That seems easy upgrade to make at anytime.

Know anything about windows 7 vs 8.1? I just guessed there.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You might want to go for the K2200 as a professional GPU might make it faster.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/611426-gpu-for-video-photo-editing-rendering

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

so, a gpu rather than running video via motherboard and cpu? i have asked but never heard that it was an advantage to have a gpu instead. thanks for the information! i will do some more research.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

On the psu issue, it's just that the unit you have is ordinary at best. $60 for 750W bronze isn't bad but for a few bucks more 750W gold is within reach and it's a much better unit. You will be gaining a couple of features but you will also be gaining things like a 10 yr warranty, superior build quality and an excellent rep. Well worth the cost in my mind.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info! I didn't notice the gold. I think you are right that's worth it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube