add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build - Student + Light to Moderate gamer

Schedlr2

61 months ago

Hi, I am a college student and first time pc builder. This is my first build and was just curious about getting some feedback on it!

I really just want a good machine for under 800$ that will run well and have longevity to finish through my education.

Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Schedlr2/saved/9JhG3C

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

what do you want to do on it? work? play?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

both :). My work will revolve around programming on C# or Matlab. I would like to get into photography at some point so photo editing could be in my future. For gaming, I just want something to make games run smoothly on high settings.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Sounds fun!

it's clear you have put a great amount of thought into this build. notes:

you can get a atx case - the s340 for 60 dollars that's a nice one

That cpu is only dual core though so it won't be great at video editing and some recent games such as farcry 4 and assasins creed don't run natively on dual core. This is apparently due to poor game optimisation on ubisoft part but this does question the future of dual core as game become ever more demanding.

you have several options: switch to amd for a fx 6300 or fx 6350 slightly more exspensive but they have more cores ans in the case of the fx6350 a higher clock

you could stick with what you have or a g3258 with less cores - the g3258 does have good potential

or go for an i5 which will cost significantly more

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard a lot about the AMD versus Intel debate.... and has made me more confused than ever ;).

I've heard that AMD processors have heat issues while Intel seems to run cooler but in terms of world application processing power they seem to be comparable.. Would you agree?

I could spare it in my budget to go for an i5 if I needed to -- but if the AMD Fx6300/6350 is comparable to the i5 and cheaper would it make sense to just go for the AMD processor and cut costs?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

They both are good it's jsut AMD run hotter and, in your case, because you're lacking the basics like keyboard etc (no offense), you need to allocate your buget elsewhere so I would go down the amd route to cut costs, yeah. If you had more buget then i5 but don't feel as though you're missing anything because AMD don't suck they are just overlooked by the intel fanboys. have fun ;)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube