add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

my first 1500 dollar gaming pc build, plz help

benimmer

61 months ago

I made a 1300 dollar build (mistake in the title) with help from some poeple, but extra help would be great! this is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/benimmer/saved/PKw8TW

is it good?

and can it play crysis 3 at ultra 1080p at 60+fps? thanks -benimmer

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The case and dvd drive are both pretty expensive, but ya, that should work well. I'd personally go for a 600w or 650w psu though for better efficiency and less noise.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

are there any other cases for less that are at least as big and look good?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xfMgK8

Changed the CPU and PSU. Not sure why you're getting a Server CPU for a game as the only reason i would think you'd want that would be the extra 2 cores. Most games don't utilize more than 3 cores so a i5 that can be OC unlike that other cpu you chose would be a better choice. A better PSU with a trusted brand which also has alot more power. I noticed that the operating system has no cost, do you alraedy have it?

Edit: About Crysis 3, I'd say you can play over 50 FPS but probably not over 70FPS

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

isn't a intel core i7-4790K better? that it is more expensive doesn't realy matter. how big is the difference in performance between the i7 and the i5 that you choose?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The only reason one would get a i7 4790k is if you are a multitasking god. Heres a scale (Not 100% reliable but would probably roughly)

i7-4790k: Gaming + Streaming + 20 programs + 30 tabs

i5-4690k: Gaming + Streaming + 10 programs + 20 tabs

You can probably do more with these amazing processors but I just wanted to show you the the difference in power. By far this is not accurate. So take it with a grain of salt. Its a " lets say" scenario I presume.

You can EASILY get over 40FPS on Crysis 3 ultra at 1080p. Your avg would probably be 50-60fps thought. Xeons can be used for gaming but isn't exactly reccomneded as its a server CPU. Server CPUs are RARELY turned off. You might think, "well if its never turned off than wouldn't it be good for gaming as servers last long?" You see, servers are put in a controlled aircondition room 24/7. So, it shouldn't and wouldn't over heat!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

but if I want to be playing the most demanding games in about 3 years also, is then the i7 better? or is an i7 just overkill?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Future proofing PCs will require a significant amount of money. We're talking about 3 GPUs and a Overkill on the CPU. Besides, you can always upgrade when the time comes! If you care about demanding games in the next 2 years or so, pick up another 970 and SLI that!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

that's pretty sad actualy

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

An intel XEON is more for a server kind of a cpu. Switch to something like an i5. But overall, your 970 can handle crysis 3 in 1080p. I am not sure about the ultra at 60 fps but you definitely can play it though

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I first had the 4 ghz intel i7-4790K, but changed because someone said that a xeon was better for the money, is that one better than the xeon? and can i THEN play crysis at ultra 1080p 60+fps, or at least 30fps?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get the i7 4790k. I have it myself and I love it more than anything, works like a dream. And yes, you can achieve very high frames in crysis. And if your feeling you can pitch in a bit more money, two 970s will serve you fine too. Much luck to you on your build, stay safe and have a great day

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube