add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anything wrong with this $600 gaming build?

Exploosh

61 months ago

I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck so to speak. I've been tossing parts in and out of this build and I'm trying to buy something that will last my 3 years or so and be able to play the newest games (of course future-proofing is difficult and I doubt I'll be getting ultra graphics for all future games, but I know I will for most unless graphics reach a new level of intensity soon).

I'm looking to purchase quality parts so therefore I've eliminated items which have bad reviews and issues. I had to reach out for a more costly motherboard after finding out the $40-$60 ones just weren't worth it because they have too many issues. I also realized that a 280x just isn't entirely possible in this build and I would only be missing out on a few FPS. I would like to get a 280x if the prices drop some more or if any deals come up. I know there's 1 for $230 right now and that's the cheapest one (without sacrificing quality).

I would basically like to know if there's anything I can improve upon, any incompatibilities, possible issues, etc. Any and all criticisms are welcome!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $96.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $21.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard $87.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $174.99 @ NCIX US
Case Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Directron
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $587.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 18:17 EST-0500

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD cpu's generally get whooped at gaming by the nearest priced current gen intel chip, I was reading this article a couple of nights ago - http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/

Prices on gpus will prolly be dropping shortly when the new amd 3xx and nvidias 960 cards come out.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the GPUs will drop in price, but that won't be for another month or two at least and I'm not sure how much. I'm getting extremely impatient and rather get the GPU now. I know I probably should wait, but chances are, I won't be losing that much money.

Also, I'm sticking with the FX 6300 just because it has more cores. I've read both sides of the argument and I'd just rather have the extra cores to be safe. It's also cheaper and I won't lose out on much performance, if any.

Thanks for the information though!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes go for amd the i3 are dual core and this not worth comparing and th i5 is a big step up - even the fx 8350 is less so good valué for money and this price range. i also doubt there willl be much gpu price change maybe at the higher competing models but this isnt one of them.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I believe I will be moving forward with this build and purchasing all of the necessary components tomorrow. Well, most of them at least.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Apparently the R9 280 just randomly jumped $20 in price. I think the next time I see it go down I'm going to buy it... Prices keep going up right now and less deals are available. I was expecting more deals right after Christmas lol

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Well last year I just remember seeing more deals after Christmas. Guess I was wrong though. Sadly, I didn't have the money or else I would have bought a build for around $500 during the week of Black Friday. :(

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Already talked to a few people about it and each person told me Fractal makes quality PSUs and just has good quality all-around. I had that 620w seasonic on the list at first but wanted to shave off $10 from the price.

There's no 750w evga for $40, only a few random low-quality psus made by coolmax and some other companies for around $40. That evga you're talking about is $65. I might just go with the seasonic to be 100% safe, but I haven't heard anything bad about fractal yet.

Thank you!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh. Well, I'm not looking to count rebates because they aren't exactly reliable and take a long time to see any sort of return (from what I've heard). Currently just paying attention to the base price.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube