add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap entry to desktop gaming - opinions?

shottycall

61 months ago

I currently have a dell laptop with a dual core i5 hyperthreaded 2.67ghz (shows 4 cores) with a nvidia GT420M GPU. I can currently play most of the games I want on medium detail and record using OBS. I want to get into desktops, but my wife also wants to play games with me that are multiplayer. We are tight on budget at the moment so I was looking to build something that can out perform the laptop but not break the bank. Then once the laptop dies use this budget build as the secondary and build a nice $1500 rig. Here's what I've selected:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/shottycall/saved/xM9ypg

My questions for you pro builders; I have 3 older home desktops that have various burnt out parts, but can I still use their cases? I have one that's about the size of a Mid-case I want to customize some. They also all have working DVD drives, can i reuse those? I only need the drive for a few cd installed programs. Everything else I will be downloading through Steam.

I've heard that AMD isn't great for video editing. All I have is the basic Sony Vegas that I only use to cut down raw recordings and add a title to. It should be able to handle that I assume?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll also add: I don't really plan on overclocking, though I am not against it.

My whimpy laptop is playing SpinTires on medium settings through an HDMI onto a 55" LED TV in 1080i while recording, so I hope a quad core AMD can do the same with a GTX 2GB GPU?

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

anyone?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube