add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
lonestar8302

61 months ago

Hello Everyone,

Looking into building my first PC on a budget. Max would be $500, but $400 would be even better. I'm seriously considering trying Ubuntu for the OS as well. Not only to save $ but it looks interesting and worth a try. Plus, I figure building from scratch I don't have to worry about loosing anything important if I screw up the install. I have an old HP Pavilion Slimline that no longer works. I've taken it apart and got my first look at all the components inside, saw how they fit together and what was what. I'm pretty sure I can do this, at least the hardware part. Making sure the software is good gives me a bit of pause (the biggest reason why I wouldn't want to try Ubuntu) as does trying to figure out which parts to get. Here's what I have so far. Anything I need to add or subtract? This is going to be used for web surfing, word docs/spreadsheets and music/video (streaming and digital copies). I could probably get rid of the SSD and get closer to $300, but wanted to see what yall thought.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $82.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $56.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $37.26 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $70.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.88 @ OutletPC
Case Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case $33.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $38.28 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $405.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 23:51 EST-0500

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks perfectly fine for what you're doing :-D

I like a better quality PSU usually, there's a good deal on a gold rated corsair atm tho I would usually go for the 360w gold seasonic but it's not cheap...

Edit. I would definitely keep the ssd, there's cheaper just as quick options if you wanna save a few bucks tho

360w seasonic review http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=313

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I'll definitely keep those in mind. Do you see any issues with these parts and ubuntu?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

NP :D

Sorry never used ubuntu so I've no idea, you're not using anything exotic so I wouldn't think so but... who knows?

To speak to Karu's points for a moment, fm2+ is pretty new still, iirc it's maybe about a year old & I think they're still on the first wave of new chips for it and considering the plain fm2 got 2 or 3 chips released for it I would expect at least 3-4 generations for fm2+, so you should be good for upgrades for a while yet. Plus like you say it's not a gaming build so anything greatly in excess of it's current capabilities is prolly not really very necessary.

If you ever do feel the need to increase it's gaming performance some high speed ram provides a nice frames per second boost - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-scaling-trinity,3419.html

That article is actually about the previous generation apu architecture but the same theory applies, your mobo maxes out at 2133mhz ram which according to that toms piece provides an average of 20% fps increase for gaming over 1600 ram.

I would class 600-650w as pretty excessive too, even running at max capacity it's current power draw would load that sized psu to about 30% which is kinda getting low & makes it harder for the psu to run at good efficiency. As the chances of you needing a gpu seem low I would prolly stick with the power range you have already. (Sorry Karu! :D )

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

save up a little bit more and put together something that isn't going need to be upgraded or replaced in the next 5 years or more i did the same type of build dealing with an apu build myself and made alot of choke points for gaming....but other then that looks got but should last a couple years just the only thing i'd change is the power supply and go with a 600 or even a 650 at mostthat way you got some wattage head room if you want to upgrade it with a graphic card

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Not a pc gamer so that's not an issue. But I see your point about being able to upgrade later.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube