61 months ago
Edit: Here's the final build, for anyone curious or doing Google archaeology
|CPU||Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor||Purchased For $115.00|
|CPU Cooler||Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler||Purchased For $35.00|
|Motherboard||Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard||Purchased For $95.00|
|Memory||G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory||Purchased For $75.00|
|Storage||Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive||Purchased For $105.00|
|Video Card||EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card||Purchased For $110.00|
|Case||Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case||Purchased For $80.00|
|Power Supply||SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply||Purchased For $50.00|
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)||Purchased For $100.00|
|Case Fan||Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan||Purchased For $15.00|
|Other||Memorex USB 2.0 External Multi Format Slim DVD Recorder Model 98251||Purchased For $20.00|
|Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available||$800.00|
|Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-01 03:01 EST-0500|
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
Okay, so tonight my mom just randomly went: "Oh, by the way, I need you to build me a new computer before the 1st so I can include it as a writeoff for 2014's taxes." Uhhhh... sure OK, why not!
So yeah I have 2 days to get these parts ordered and a proof-of-purchase acquired. And I usually build sledgehammer overkill systems for myself, so I'm bad at knowing what budget parts are Good™ and what budget parts are Very Bad™.
Budget (using her terms...):
- USD 500 (ideal, makes me a hero)
- USD 600 (completely acceptable)
- USD 700 (tolerable, absolute maximum hard ceiling DO NOT CROSS THIS LINE)
Region: Continental United States
- Productivity software (Quicken/Quickbooks, Excel, Word, blah blah, SO SPREADSHEETS, VERY ACCOUNTING)
- Heavy and frequent HD video streaming (Netflix, Hulu, etc)
- Light creative software (Photoshop Elements, etc — hobby-level, nothing professional)
- Very light gaming (stuff like MMO solo questing, WoW crafting/garrison, Telltale Games, etc; no group content, no multiplayer, no Far Cry 4).
Everything has to come from Amazon: Yes, it's annoying, but this is the rule she gave me (Prime membership and stuff).
Reasoning (selected parts):
- I know I'm already over the ideal budget and dangerously close to the ceiling, but I always build optimistic and then scale back. :p
- CPU: She explicitly wants an Intel CPU. I'm trying to give her some future-proofing / breathing room without going budget-crazy. She does enough streaming / creative stuff / light gaming that I don't want to cheap out her CPU too much.
- RAM: She explicitly refuses to go below 8GB. She wants 16GB, but I don't think I can get that into the budget, and I also don't think she really needs it. I used G.Skill because I always build with that so, yeah, habit — open to suggestions.
- Storage: She doesn't want an internal platter drive, because she has a 1TB USB 3.0 external drive already that she archives on / puts media on. She explicitly wants an SSD for OS & programs. I wanted to get 500 GB, but I don't think it will fit the budget.
HELP (unselected parts):
- I have no clue what to buy for budget 1150 mobos, since I always just buy expensive mobos from Asus because hey, they're fancy. So I could really use some help picking a quality budget board.
- She insists on having Front USB 3.0 ports in the case, if that affects anything, and is generally a connectivity-hound with too many devices and toys.
- I'm also lost when it comes to budget cases.
- She wants a case with "good airflow" and "cool inside" (we live in a warm climate, and this PC will live inside a cabinet).
- She wants a case that's "easy to get around inside" (she likes to clean her case regularly and tends to tinker / upgrade easy stuff like GPUs herself).
- There's limited vertical space in the cabinet, so nothing super-tall, but standard ATX will fit.
I think that's everything. Thanks to anyone who can help me round this out & tidy it up — like I said in my other build thread, I'm really inexperienced with the lower side of build budgets. I don't want to accidentally give her junk, or something underpowered. :p