add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair AX760 watts vs. total PCPartPicker Est. Wattage 706

Blanco111
  • 64 months ago

Here is my PCPartPicker list (items already purchased): Someone on another web site forum said my choice in PSU should have more wattage. Someone helped me make this choice since I know very little about computers. So will this PSU be enough, or should I return it, pay the reshipping and restocking cost (which I hate to do) and buy let's say a 1,000 watt PSU?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $373.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $123.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $217.95 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $379.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.29 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $98.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (3-Way SLI) $339.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (3-Way SLI) $339.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case $159.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2727.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-30 16:52 EST-0500

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 3 points

You would definitely not want a 760W psu. You want to make sure to add some headroom for OC and it is a general safety precaution. 1kw is a good idea and I would verify that the unit comes with 6x PCIE cables to avoid adapters.

• 64 months ago
  • 3 points

If you don't know much about computers I would caution you on the 3 way sli. You're spending a ton of money on something that might not make a lot of sense. Please look up the advantages of 3 way vs. 2 way. You'll find that 3 way is more than likely to be a headache not worth the cost or time. Stick with 2 way.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it matter if I intended to use the three GPU's without SLI bridging? I plan to use the new build working in Blender (3d modeling program) I was told that I should not bridge the three GPU's for this purpose. Instead, I was told, to just install them in the motherboard.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh. That's different. So are you going to use each to drive a monitor? Each a 4k beast? Sounds very, very cool. Yeah that's going to be a really wicked system.

I can see why that psu is going to be a little weak. If you could return it and go to the 860 at least it would give you just that much of headroom without breaking the bank or the psu. OTOH, the AX is a platinum grade psu. It uses very high quality components and it should not give you much grief just because you're driving hard. Hell, you're probably one of the very few on this board that justify such a unit in the first place!

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I just bought the corsair ax1200 i. Yeah, I can afford it. But I still don't like paying the restocking fees. And hopefully I'll be able to build this computer. (Not a given) I heard in Blender each card renders a different part of an image making the render time go three times as fast as using one gpu. That would be very good. I've also heard my cpu is't going to be adequate for a three way sli. Other people say it will be.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

You done goofed... Grab a 1200w with proper cabling and enough amps for this...

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

In general, go for at least 1000w for 3 or more GPUs.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Along the lines of what Dimwit said: if you just don't use one of those 970s in this build, you can easily do 760W and save yourself the restocking fee...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube