add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Constructive Crtiticism Please

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

Do you plan on getting another 3 sticks of 8GB ram? If no, then at least split that one up to 2x4GB to take advantage of the Dual-Channel ram.

If you're ok with spending another ~50$, you can get a GTX 970 instead of the GTX 770.

I prefer air cooling, but that's your choice...

If you can spare another ~50$, you should be able to get an SSD for your OS/major programs.

Hope that helps you out.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd get a 970 over a 770 if I were you also, such better performance.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, planning to get the second one in a month's time, the rest about 2-3months after.

Why air cooling? I was planning on a silent build

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, so that explains the ram.

As for the air-cooling, the high end options are very quiet and efficient, comparable to the water cooling options (some have even said that they (air) are quieter at high rpms). The main issue with high-end air coolers is that they often require low-profile ram such as this, as they usually hang over the slots. For watercooling, even when the fans are at low-rpm, there is the sound of the pump motor running.

Example build with changes: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $212.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $74.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $136.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $339.98 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1004.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 17:38 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 3 points

Not a bad build...an SSD would help with application loading and just makes your system more "zippy" overall but not required. I don't know how close you are to your budget so if that list has you maxed out the only thing that really should be changed is to get a dual channel RAM kit instead of one stick. Also, a 970 isn't much more ($30-40) and about 25% faster.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

IF your not a OC hobbist than might be better just to pick a Xeon 1231v3 and a H97 mobo, no OC mobo needed, no special cooler needed and just run it stock. Xeon 1231v3 on stock has the performance of a i7-4770.

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-07/intel-core-i5-4690k-test-uebertakten-benchmarks/2/#diagramm-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-1920-x-1080

OCing to get a more performance in games isn't really that much beneficial. You might see a 5-10fps more at 4.7Ghz which is a high OC for i5. You can check the the benchmarks of the games you plan to play OC vs stock and you will see it's really not that much higher.

So instead of wasting more money on just cooling and OC mobo + higher temperatures and power consumption. It's better just to get Xeon 1231v3 and run it stock (ofcorse there is option to run all the cores on it's max turbo clock, which will work like sort of OCing).

In other words: i5-4690k 212$ + H55 55$ + Asus z97-a 139$ = 406$ / Xeon 1231v3 242$ + Asrock H97 pro4 76$ = 318$

You save = 88$ (+ lower power consumption each month it adds up a bit in year or 2)

Crucial Balistix 8gb 1600Mhz CL9 is gonna be more than enogh

PSU XFX 550w or Seasonic 620 M12II.

with that 88$ dollars saved you can probobly pick a SSD as well Crucial MX100 or UltraII is gonna do the job.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Well played, sir. +1 for a great non-OC solution (especially the PSU suggestions and SSD)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

do you have a specific motherboard in mind?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a visual of this guy's idea, based on a build list I was helping someone else out with recently...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HhWTVn

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $275.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $79.27 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $86.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $86.98 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $359.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1097.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 12:43 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Im thinking of something that is upgradeable in about 2-3 years

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this one?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4MnB7P

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this one. Its a Xeon like the suggestion.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BDnB7P

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there something in particular about that Xeon list I posted earlier that you just don't like? It really comes down to whether you plan to overclock, but is that ability really worth giving up i7 performance from the Xeon over the i5? As far as being upgradeable, as long as you stick with the H97/Z97 motherboard, your system can be upgraded with Broadwell CPU later...I chose the H97 because that Xeon is really not for overclocking but if you expect that you'll end up with an unlocked i5 later, Z97 is the right choice whether you go i5 now or Xeon.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You can pick a cheaper 1600Mhz CL9 ram and save 20$ or if you choose that one just becuase it's red color scheme than ok tough it's stupidly high profile thats not needed.

Like i said before for Xeon it's not needed an extra cooling stock one will do just fine, now if you wanna pick cooling only to make it more silent than there is better options than h55 and cheaper.

SSD Crucial mx100 or ULTRAII not plus.

I'd Rather pick MSI 970 or Asus strix 970 since they more silent.

Also I'd Rather pick a Seasonic or XFX for example a XFX 650w cost the same and has better specs as well it's made by seasonic while corsair CS650M it's made by GreatWall good company too but seasonic is better in terms of build quality. Like i said with that kinda build Gold is silly, gold dosen't mean your psu is gonna have better longevity just 5% better efficiancy, which isn't something, to make full use of gold psu than make whole PC build GOLD.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube