add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good $900 dollar build?

GeraldG

61 months ago

I would like to know if everything is adequate, i think i should upgrade graphics card, people have given me some options but, i would like to keep total build under 900 us dollars. since this is my first build im wondering if GPU can hold me off for a while since i will be using this for modest gaming. Please help i am very new at this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GeraldG/saved/TnWypg

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Same price, WAY better graphics card. Unless you need that much storage space, I'd choose a 240GB SSD within budget for now and add a larger one later. SSD's help with application loading and makes your system more responsive overall.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI H97 Guard-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $114.40 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $174.99 @ Newegg
Case Apevia X-Trooper (Black/Green) ATX Mid Tower Case $88.46 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $67.42 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $20.39 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $98.72 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $882.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 12:56 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Great! i was thinking about an SSD but i didnt want to go over budget, but still wanted enough storage space for most games to be downloaded. Is a SSD necessary to run fast or can that wait until later.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD's make your PC boot in seconds and applications load WAY faster, but not necessary. It's just easier to start with an SSD if you're going to eventually get one because then the only way to benefit is to migrate your OS to it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

okay so it makes more sense to get SSD first then HHD later

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Take the Seasonic PSU from briguy94's list over that EVGA...even though it's less wattage and lower efficiency rating, it's a better power supply because Seasonic is excellent.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a build that is pretty good. I changed the memory to G.Skill since it's cheaper and a lower cas latency than the corsair, so it will be faster even at the same MHz rating. I also changed the power supply to seasonic as they are probably the best power supply brand you can buy now. It puts out a little more power, and is also fully modular which will help with cable management and looks. I also changed the Video Card to a r9 280 as it will last you a couple years at high or ultra settings.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $190.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI H97 Guard-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $105.66 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $73.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.99 @ Amazon
Case Apevia X-Trooper (Black/Green) ATX Mid Tower Case $81.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $26.97 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $97.27 @ TigerDirect
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $927.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 13:11 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You also might consider a different case. Not sure if you have this one or like the way it looks, but you might have to remove the middle drive cages to fit the video card. I also added an 240GB SSD. It's only $20 from a 120GB one. The OS on my SSD boots in probably 15 seconds. Game load times are also much much faster

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I am so Grateful that ya'll have been helping me i have been doing so much research it is mind boggling, and to have assistance is very helpful, will this build be able to run graphics on high or ultra or 1080p idk?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome, and yes it will...ultra @ 1080p with average 50fps+.

I looked at a comparison between that 280 and a 750ti and the 750ti was hovering around 32fps.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

okay so i went ahead and saved that list he posted should i worry about the compatibility at the bottom it is giving me warnings?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Use the RAM from my build instead, same kit I've used in several builds, it's plenty fast thanks to lower CAS and it runs at 1.5V which eliminates that voltage warning. Higher speed RAM only really helps with integrated graphics or programs that do rendering (video editing/CAD, etc.).

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl8d8gbxm

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I would go with that memory as I have it in my build as well. The only reason I selected 2133MHz memory is because the OP had it in the part list, and this PC might have been used for video editing.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Both builds listed so far can run on ultra 1080p. May have to turn a few games to High like crysis 3 if you don't want the frame rates to drop below 60fps, but if your okay with it dipping in the low 50's when things get intense(Lot of explosions and action) then you can play it on ultra settings for sure.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

New Parts list with different memory to fix voltage warning.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $190.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI H97 Guard-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $105.66 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Case Apevia X-Trooper (Black/Green) ATX Mid Tower Case $81.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $26.97 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $97.27 @ TigerDirect
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $906.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 13:29 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Mission accomplished!!

Personally, I agree with what briguy said about different case...that card is 11.18" long and the case specs says it can take cards up to 11"...besides that there are better cases out there for the same price or even less.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright Last question besides the fact i am getting help with everything lol, what is an awesome case, i like this one for the way it looks and side panel access, but what is your favorite case?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, in trying to keep within budget my favorite cases wouldn't apply but here are a few would work and keep you within budget...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-ca1b500m1wn00

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/enermax-case-eca3280abl

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-vp300a1w2n

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

okay i have Completely saved and updated all of my parts list and will hopefully be ordering everything soon. Thank you very much don't know if i could have done it with out you guys I very much appreciate it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome, good luck with it, looking forward to seeing it in the completed builds section!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

if i can figure out how to do that then i'll definitely do it lol.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube