add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC, Upgradable for future?

shottycall

61 months ago

I wanted to build a good PC without breaking the bank but I also wanted to be able to upgrade it in the future. Here's what i selected

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rZB6P6

I'll be getting a case on ebay probably, I like the options on there.

How reliable is PC PartsPicker?? I wanted to select a GeForce GT630 2GB for the GPU cause it was only $29.99, I figured I could upgrade later but have an ok GPU for now, when I clicked it though the source website said no longer available. SO WHY IS IT ON THIS WEBSITE AS AN OPTION?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

a link would be nice its a pain to look through everything like this

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It is extremely reliable. They check tons of compatibility issues that could be found. I'm not sure of the reason as to why its not available. Have you checked other places?? You can always manually enter the link.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I selected an ASUS Geforce GT630 from SuperBizz. Price is 59.99 with $30 mail in rebate...once you click the link to the superbizz website it says out of stock

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Now I tried to select a GTX750 from newegg and it says out of stock also.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Checking this morning it now says in stock. I don't believe pcpart picker keeps track of what is in stock or not.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't bother with liquid cooling for a budget PC.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ditch the aio cooler/thermal paste and grab a ssd.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I got rid of the cooler and paste, as for SSD, I'm thinking about just running the HDD 7200rpm for now then switching all my steam games to an SSD later...or should I do the SSD now so I can install the windows 7 on it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd grab the ssd first simply because you wouldnt need to migrate your windows over later.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a mostly reliable build, although i dont know what you want to do with it. You're obviously not planning on overclocking so a stock cooler is alright. If you want better prices (You don't need a 140$ mobo) get the msi z97 PC MATE, I can recommend it, it's a sturdy, cheap mobo and a breeze to navigate BIOS.

I dont know what you mean by upgrade in the future, although if you want only necessary to replace for gaming, parts, then get a better PSU. (And maybe if you wanted to get better gaming performance, switch to the r9 280X, drop the ssd, get the previously mentioned mobo, and it's about the same price.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard there's a large difference in Game performance when everything is loaded onto an SSD so that's why I have that. I currently have an external 1TB Hard Drive for any recording I do.

As for upgrading in future, I want to upgrade to i7 maybe in a year or two and possibly a newer GTX. Can I still upgrade to a Nvidia GTX if I select an R9280X now?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no difference playing games on an ssd to hhd, only the load-up time of the game itself. An i7 is a good upgrade (For editing and multi-thread optimized apps/programs only) although by then they might have something better. Do you mean add another video card in sli/crossfire or replace the card. You cannot run a r9 280x and a nvidia card together, but sure you can upgrade the 280x in the future and replace it with a nvidia card.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I am refering to replacing the card. Some of the lower performing parts of this build will in up in another desktop once my current laptop dies.

Will I be able to overclock this i3 if I add on a liquid cooler later?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

No, i3's do not have turbo boost, therefore having a completely locked multiplier. You cannot overclock them. (You could a small bit, but it wouldn't do anything) If you can save up the i5 4690k is always a good choice if you have the money, or at this builds price point maybe some amd cards would save you money.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

AH, I will probably save for the i5 then because my laptop is running a dual core i5 with similar specs as the i3 I had selected, so if I can't overclock the i3 then I would probably want to upgrade a lot sooner anyway.

I want to stay intel because I have put my laptop through way more than it's probably supposed to do and it's still kicking. I'm not sure what to do about a GPU though. Maybe I'll just buy everything but the GPU and keep an eye out for sales for a while since the i5 will come with decent built in graphics that can handle some online games I play

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm looking at some videos on youtube. It looks like the Intel HD4600 built in graphics may be able to out perform my laptop's nvidia GT420M

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube