add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Gaming Rig, would love input

samrock67

61 months ago

Hey all, complete noob here. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer, I've spent my life playing mostly sports games that would run on mid-tier laptops, and only over the last 2-3 years have I started to dabble in RPGs(Diablo 3, mostly). That being said, I will be building my first desktop and would like to build a capable one. I don't NEED to be able to max out every game at 1080, but if I can build a system that can for the right price, I'll do it. The only game to currently consider at this point in time is Far Cry 4- I will be getting it in a couple of weeks and would love to be able to play it at max settings. Other than that, this system is going to be light years ahead of anything I've ever had before. Here's what I've put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.79 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $104.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $329.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1064.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-01 10:49 EST-0500

Just a few questions going forward: 1) Do I need a wireless adapter? The room I'm set up in isn't wired, but would running an ethernet cable into the room be more optimal? 2) Any money-saving changes to the above list? In terms of budget, sub-$1200 is optimal, sub-$1000 would be even better(without sacrificing too much performance- not that I'd notice the difference anyway) 3) In terms of installing the OS and games- both on the SSD, or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

To your questions 1)yes unless you have Ethernet or a wifi mobo yes Ethernet is better

Os comes priority to the SSD and any leftover space can be used as desired

For that build you need a z97 mobo

If you want to cut costs you can always get a smaller SSD or a cheaper case like the s340

Do you have an OS?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

In regards to the OS: I don't have one- still debating between Windows 7 and 8.1. I briefly played around with 8.1 while setting up a friend's computer, didn't like it, but given the time I'm sure I could catch on.

Why is the z97 mobo a requirement?

Smaller SSD is an option...how much space does the OS take up?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah windows 8.1 isn't great

the z97 support this cpu the z87 require a bios update prior to this cpu it also says this in your compatibility notes

OS doesn't take much up but you don't have to slim down only even you really need to. personally i think the best value is the size you chose.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Use classic shell on windows 8.1 and it will replicate least 95% of windows 7.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

At that price range for a case id say you should consider the fractal r4 over the 500r.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube