add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Rig without Overclock

wilefool

61 months ago

Hi expert out there, i am trying to build a good gaming system to support 27" monitor (2560 x 1440 or 4k) without any over clocking.

Below is what i have selected, able to help by commenting on what should i swap out?

Many Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wilefool/saved/mPbcCJ

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not overclocking then you don't need the liquid cooler... or any aftermarket cooler. CPU will come with one that's acceptable for normal operating conditions. Unless you're an enthusiast and just wanna build something cool; I get that... but you don't NEED it.

Especially with that case; looks like it hasp plenty of air flow right out the top. Speaking of case... why a mini-ITX build? Seems odd that space would be an issue forcing such a small build when you have such a large monitor. Sorry I'm just not a big fan of tiny builds like this. It's a PITA to work on, you have a lot more heat in a smaller space, with no real benefits.

I understand space constraints can force people to build smaller computers; is that the case here? 9

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

thank morganm, guess i will take out the cooler then.

yah, wanted to build something smaller as my current one is ATX. Just wanted to place more thingy on my desk :>

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I used to have a tiny little ITX. It was nice when I was in a town home with limited space. So if you really need teh space; I get ya.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd drop the ram down to 8gb. h80i isnt really needed but thats up to you. And that ssd is stupidly overpriced. At that price you can grab 500gb ssd's. My recommendation would be: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct240m500ssd1

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah 8 GB is truly enough for MOST people. Unless you're really doing something beyond gaming and the occasional small video editing you'll likely never use more than 8 GB. Good point there.

I was thinking the same about the SSD but I dunno... I tend to associate Intel with high quality. Would be nice if he was paying for quality and performance compared to a cheaper competitor. Is that true? Unknown...

Defiantly a good idea to second think paying that much for an SSD. There are lots of options for that kind of money. Another route would be to get a smaller SSD and slap in a deep and cheap HDD.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

thank! i will drop to 8GB then, vengeance 2 x 4GB looks good.

I would also consider the SSD that so0shiboi recommended, that options is more value for money :)

one more question, for the motherboard, i heard great thingy about ASROCK. Do you guys recommend them over Asus or both are great?

Thanks again!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

My personal favs are 1. Asus, 2. Gigabyte, 3. Msi.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I have like zero experience with Asrock. My son's build here is my first Asrock board. I've had several Asus in the past and so have my friends. They've always been top notch in my book. This is all purely opinion mind you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube