add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Second attempt at a build

hadroff

61 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Np7Fpg

So, I posted on here several weeks ago with a build and the response was overly positive. With the time that has elapsed since then, I just want to double check to make sure everything is still good to go. Since then, I've done some extra research and have made some alterations.

Purpose of the build: Gaming mostly. I really want to be able to play the AAA titles without any difficulty for a good amount of time. Much like everything else one purchases, upgrades might be needed down the line.

Overclocking: I plan to do some overclocking but not immediately. I'm still fairly new to the process so I'll be taking it easy until I get a handle on what I want to do.

Edit: I might SLI down the line but haven't decided just yet.

However, I did have a few questions about several of the parts:

CPU cooler: I was recommended this particular part in my build by a friend who does some OC'ing and the like. Is this worth the ~$30 (USD) price bump over Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Np7Fpg

Case: Is this an adequate case or this excessive? The main reason I threw this particular case in is tied to the fact that it is coming close to being 50% off and within the 'price range' I expected to pay for a case.

PSU: Is the PSU I listed adequate or should I aim for something higher to future proof myself? I heard Seasonic was a reputable brand and their PSU's are typically more 'expensive' than other brands. Also, is it worth going for a gold certified as opposed to bronze?

RAM: I've heard that 8 GB is more than enough to run most games. Is there a real difference between running Kingston, Gskill or some of the other brands? Or is it just preference?

Mobo: Picking a mobo has been nothing short of excruciating but this board seems to be solid across the board. Is this board worth it or is there a comparable board that I could have overlooked?

SSD: I'm a little off on this as well. Is there a better brand that offers similar amounts for a similar price point?

Edit 2: CPU. I was going to get the i5 4690K but I was given the option to get the I7 4790K for $100 (USD) less. That's why I went that route.

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

cpu cooling: no 1 fan radiators don't justify the price bump from the hyper 212

i would say that cpu is overkill if you just want to game. I'd go with the i5 4690k and better watercooling.

The case is adequare but i'd reccomend the phantecks enthoo pro at that price

There's little difference within RAM apart from speeds

that mobo is good. No need for anything more.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU cooling: I was kinda thinking the same thing. Will definitely look at alternatives.

Case: Thanks for pointing out that case! Will definitely give it a closer look.

CPU: forget to put my reasoning for my 'choice' in the matter. Thanks for reminding me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube