add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SlimGamer 2 versions. Opinions?

HyperactiveSloth

61 months ago

These are two alternative drafts of a parts list for a "portable" low-mid gaming rig. Basically I didn't want to waste money on a laptop that will never leave the house. I figured for less money I could build something faster with a larger screen that's modifiable, upgrade-able, and much easier to work on.

The idea is to use a slim case, or orient an htpc case vertically and mount it to the back of a monitor and attach a handle to the top of the case. When the pc needs to be moved then you just pick up the whole thing together and take it to another room. I had pretty much decided on the Intel build in the first link, but wanted to see what I could come up with if I went the AMD route, so I created the second one. I've never built an AMD system (or any system for a few years) but the Kaveri APU intrigued me.

So, if you could take a look at both parts list and give your opinion on which would be better I would appreciate it. Thank you.

SlimGamer v.1 (Intel traditional): http://pcpartpicker.com/user/HyperactiveSloth/saved/nT9ypg

SlimGamer v.2 (AMD APU): http://pcpartpicker.com/user/HyperactiveSloth/saved/JGvNnQ

Oh, I almost forgot the most important bit of information. I'm building two of whichever system I decide to go with; one for each of kids. One is going to be used mostly for WoW, Terra, and YouTubing and the other will spend most of it's time art editing, streaming video, and Skyping.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I really don't know enough about AMD processors, or APU/iGPU in general so I would VERY much like some feedback on this. If someone could tell me anything about the differences in these two builds it would be much appreciated. Pros and cons of each? Relative performance?

How about a very simple method of comparing: Which of these would play WoW more smoothly?

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read elsewhere on this forum that AMD APUs are better at running MMORPG than the equivalent Intel but know nothing about it. Are the graphics capabilities of the APU somewhere near as good as the CPU + GPU of the first build when it comes to mid-level games like WoW? What are the weak points of the A10-7850k compared to equivalent options?

Sorry. I know I'm asking a lot and being a bother. I just want to very prepared before deciding to build these machines. I am very obliged for any help.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

So, the Intel build would be a bit overkill if it doesn't get used for anything more demanding than Wow or Terra?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube