add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What kind of cooling? 1250$~ gaming pc

Electronic

61 months ago

Hi my name is Cooper and I'm your average 16 year old looking to get into gaming and possibly streaming. If streaming, I'd most likely run games such as League, Minecraft, ArcheAge, or WoW. I've got my mind practically set on this build but I need help with picking a CPU cooler. Essentially, I have limited knowledge and don't know which one I should select.

Here is what I have so far: CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $212.99 Motherboard ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 $104.99 Memory Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $85.99 Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" SSD $47.99 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $51.85 Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX $348.99 Case NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower $149.99 Power Supply Corsair 600W ATX12V $49.99 Monitor Asus VS228H-P 21.5" $136.48

So~ any suggestions? Everything is appreciated.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a fricken link dude.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Spend LESS on that case. Way overpriced for your build. You'll be okay with a 212 Evo if you don't plan on overclocking, otherwise, pick a random air cooler in the range of 30-50$ that you like with decent reviews. I recommend getting a little bit bigger SSD. 64G barely fits windows. You're better off with 120g. Put your games on it, they will load faster. Maybe use money you save on the case for the SSD? Other than that, you're all set. Everything looks good in my opinion :).

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet thanks! I just turned 16 and I got the case as a present along with razer krakens blackwidow and taipan haha - basically it's up to me to build the rest so a bigger ssd sounds good. I got all that for aesthetic purposes lol

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Cooper,

As Superjombombo suggested, an Evo 212 should be sufficient for cooling. All though there will be some folks that would probably recommend a higher end cooler if over clocking, the 212 will do just fine. (Source: Co-worker has his 4690k OC'd over 4GHz using an Evo).

I changed some parts around for you and have additional suggestions/recommendations.

• If not Overclocking, then downgrade your CPU to an i5-4590 or i5-4570. ($25 savings).

• Changed RAM to another DDR3-1600 at a better price point. ($20 savings)

• Changed SSD to a more reliable drive. Conversely, the Cruical M500 240GB ($17 increase).

• Changed Power Supply to a more robust PSU with room for dual video cards and overclocking. FYI - Do NOT cheap out on your Power Supply. It is the pillar of your gaming rig. Without power, it does nothing. Without decent power, it drastically shortens the lifespan of your parts, and if the system power is close to max, you'll get blue-screens etc. It is the single highest point of failure in computers... get a good one.

Since you're interested in streaming/uploading and such, you may want to have a look at the MSI Gaming 5 or 7 motherboards, as they come with built-in software that will link straight into Twitch and Youtube (software probably from a CD w/ the Mobo). I think the increase from your Mobo choice was about $35. (and both of them Overclock etc).

Happy Gaming/Streaming! (Parts list below).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $212.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $104.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $62.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card $348.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $984.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-01 21:57 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

He's spot on about the 212 evo, great for modest overclocking. You probably wouldn't have to spend that much for a psu, but if you are going to spend the money, get it. (You could use an XFX or Seasonic semi-modular t1/t2 650-750 watt psu for 85-110$

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube