add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget gaming build Pentium G3258 or i3-4150

PentiumRockets

61 months ago

I am working on an ITX build for light gaming and for serving media (no transcoding). I am not sure if I should go with the Pentium G3258 or i3-4150. They are currently about $70 vs $100 respectively right now. It seems like a lot of people are overclocking the Pentium pretty high with just the stock cooler. In an ITX case like the one I have chosen, is it likely that I'll be able to overclock the Pentium enough to outperform the i3 with just the stock cooler, or should I stick with the i3? If I need a CPU cooler, the price of the Pentium will catch up with the i3 pretty quick. The 3 fans included with the case seem to be pretty nice, according to reviews.

Thank you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/PentiumRockets/saved/vDbcCJ

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

The G3258 AFAIK is not hyperthreaded. So that means you are going to have serious issues when multitasking. If you want this PC absolutely only for gaming than probably G3258 may be a better option. Otherwise its i3-4150 FTW.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube