add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
84FSB

61 months ago

Looking into building a new gaming pc. I want to run everything on 1080p high setting with good fps,with the option of 4k/G-sync? in the future, will this do the trick?. Going to mildy overclock the Cpu to 4.0,maybe 4.2 max. will the 212 evo handle the i5-4690k?

I went with ssd only because I can always pick up a mass storage drive later. the sli ready board is also to add another Gtx970 in the future. 2x8gb sticks of ram so its also upgradeable in the future. thats also why the power supply might seem big,to support the extra gtx 970 down the road

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zMfB7P

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/84FSB/saved/LNkzK8

Heres the new list. thanks for all the help guys.

• 61 months ago
  • 0 points

You don't need more than 8gb of RAM so buy later if you need more because you should be spending that exstra on your hard drive as that SSD isn't going to store much of a steam folder.

That optical drive costs a lot because it can paly blu-ray. are you really going to use it to its potential because its an excessive cost otherwise.Also, what's with the professional windows?

and for 4k you would need to sli or have a good 980 at the least. and ethernet or wireless?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info. I will go with some 8gb ram since its all ill need. that will save some cash for a 2tb hdd.

I will be using the blu-ray player as i have a movie collection and im looking to completely replace my ps3.

Which OS would you go with? I put windows 7 up because im using xp right now and am not really up to date with what windows is best

another gtx 970 (in SLI) is planned for the future 4k. right now i will be using a 24 inch 1080p monitor.

I am planning on using the onboard ethernet on the motherboard.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, I think this does more than the job http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-gfc02050 or go with 8.1 home premium its personal preference really

nice, have fun!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good so far, nice work!

Some considerations/recommendations.

• Add HDD for additional space. Pabzi is correct that you'll easily chew through that 240gb with PC games. Also of note, SSD's like to reserve aprox 10% of the drive for repairs or dead sectors etc. So that HDD will certainly come in handy.

• 212 Evo is fine for mild overclocking.

• That PSU is probably bare minimum. If you want to SLI later, you're either going to: A) Buy a PSU & Video card B) Upgrade PSU now, only need a Video card later. An 80+ Gold reputable 750W should cover it, however if you want even more room you could just as easily get an 850W. EVGA G2 series for 750w/850w would be my recommendation.

• As for the OS, you dont need the Pro version unless there's something specific on that Edition that you require. Most people will not use all the functionality of it, so other than it having bragging rights for "Pro", its unlikely that you'll notice the difference.

As for which OS? Windows 8.1 is fine for gaming. If you're concerned about a particular application or game not working for 8.1, you can pre-check it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

Happy Gaming!

Edit: It's rumoured that Windows 8.1 will have a free/cheap upgrade to Windows 10 when released, so there's that consideration as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube