add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jumboworms

61 months ago

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jumboworms/saved/gYYbt6

I haven't bought this yet, will be buying in late January.

This will be almost exclusively for gaming, but web browsing, other minor stuff too.

My main concern is the motherboard, although it is compatible, will it do the job well? I'm concerned that I may have cut too many corners on the mobo in order to stay within budget.

Also, is that monitor okay? People say to stay away from IPS monitors for gaming because of the "low refresh rate and high input lag" but at a 5ms input time and 60hz, will this be okay for gaming?

Thanks!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i mean i would go with a z97 board and that monitor should be fine

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

what would the difference in the motherboards be?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

allow proper overclocking for better performance. There's not much point in going with the k if you're not going to cease its potential.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

the h97 motherboard can't be overclocked. You should switch to a z97 motherboard or you can switch toan i5-4690 processor that isn't unlocked.

I would also go with a solid state hard drive to run your windows operating system. Something like 120gb should only cost you around 50 bucks and it just makes your system so much faster. Or you can snag a 240gb ssd for ~100 and throw your operating system and your favorite games on it for super fast loading speeds.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

How does this mobo look? https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97pro3

And I think an SSD is out of the question, I'm already at the top of my budget, but I'll have it under future upgrades as kingston has a really nice 120gb one for $50

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

i don't see why not if you're stretched for budget

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Mobo wouldn't have an effect on the performance anyway... Right?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube