add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I make this gaming build any cheaper while maintaining a similar level of performance?

hocux

61 months ago

Hi all - I want fast boot times and to be able to play games like Dragon Age Inquisition, Watchdogs, Civilization Beyond Earth and Thief at 1080p with decent frame rates.

I want the PC to be small / portable and be able to connect to a living room TV and game controllers (PS3 via bluetooth).

My budget is £400-500. I have a hard drive (WD Black 500gb). I also have a 4/5 year old power supply - corsair vx450 - would I be able to reuse this?

Here is my first go at the build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/hocux/saved/XHfD4D

Welcome your comments and suggestions!

Thanks

J

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

why are you going with a H board for a overclockable cpu. You probably also want a cpu cooler if you're overclocking.

personaly I wouldn't risk reusing old psu on a build

do you have an os and ethernet?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit OS. No ethernet. Not too bothered about overclocking, I picked the CPU as it seemed to give the best performance for £152. Open to other suggestions! Thanks

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty solid build; it will achieve your expectations.

Can't quite tell by your comments if you plan on overclocking. You won't NEED to right away; it's plenty fast right now. Down the road you may want to give it that performance boost by overclocking. Not sure overclocking the CPU will make a huge difference in FPS because of the GPU; that's honestly the bottle neck here. However you could upgrade GPU when you go to overclock later too. By then the expensive awesome GPUs of today will be cheaper =)

So with that said you'll need an aftermarket cooler if you are going to overclock. You don't need it right now if you aren't going to overclock it right away. So you could delay the cost until you're really going to do it.

However if you're anything like me... you just won't do it later. If I don't build it with the aftermarket cooler I just won't do it later. I hate stripping down a working machine to upgrade the cooler. Some people are super in to that... they are enthusiasts... and half the fun is buying upgrades and tearing into it. Not me... I just want it to work... taking it apart introduces risk.

It's like when I used to work on my own cars. I'd fix something... few days later something else breaks... and I would always start where I last touched the damn thing because I likely missed something or bumped something or whatever. It's much more likely I did something the lat time I worked on it than some random component that was working fine suddenly stopped.... possible but more likely I dorked it up =P

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

So could I get a cheaper CPU + cooler and overclock to get same performance? I'm currently around £60 over budget.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You'd have to totally redo your build then for CPU + MB because for Intel i5 at this generation you've already selected the cheapest one you can over clock. has to have the K on the end.

I'm not savvy to the previous gen i5s as to which one is good to overclock, what motherboard you need, etc... you'd have to get someone else s advice there.

AMD is typically your budget build. You could go with a much cheaper AMD FX cpu, cooler, and overclock it and it would be about $130 cheaper. It's not as good as the i5 but if price is more important then this is a fair compromise. That kind of savings can afford you a better GPU or more coin in the wallet.

You've pretty much pushed the price down as far as you can for this generation of i5.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube