add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New to this forum. Heres my 1st future build. Advice?

motodawg1

61 months ago

This is my first build coming up. I know its expensive but im not worried about that. This system will be used for extreme gaming and entertainment. I will have a Klipsch surround sound system. I would like to here opinions about if I am missing anything? particularly I do not know how many fittings I am going need for the cooling blocks, reservoirs, etc... AND I need to know what electrical cables I will need for this system? Im sure I don't know everything on how to build this, or what all drivers I will need to install, could I get some advice here? Also, are the 2 295x2 totally overkill for a 55" 3D 1080 HDTV? I'm very mechanically inclined as i work with robots and metal cutting machinery. I can figure all this out on my own, but it would be much faster and cooler if could get some advice. one thing you will notice is that I do not have a case on the list, this is because I am going to build this system into a nice wooden china cabinet.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WnktHx

Surround Sound system: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RF-42II-Theater-Denon-AVR-X2100W-Channel/dp/0954038037/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EYMDHGSJYN974BMWVCX

EDIT:

Case: http://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-Made-Heirloom-16-Gun-Cabinet/p/42268

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Storage Plextor M6e 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Video Card XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)

XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Custom EK-FB Kit Asus R5E Waterblock - Nickel + Acetal (Original CSQ)

EK-MOSFET ASUS X99 - Nickel Plexi

XSPC Memory WaterBlock (4 Slot) - Copper Block (x2)

PPCS Luxury Single Braided Cold Cathode Kit - UV

XSPC RayStorm Twin D5 RX480 V3 WaterCooling Kit

Xigmatek CLF-F1701 170mm Crystal Cooling Series LED Cooling Fan - Blue (x4)

Xigmatek CLF-F1703 170mm Crystal Cooling Series LED Cooling Fan - Green (x4)

180mm Ultra Thin Flexible Fan Dust Filter (0.45mm Thick) (x8)

AcoustiPack ULTIMATE PC Soundproofing Materials Kit

FrozenQ PC Mods Blue Meteor Light Limited Edition Reservoir - Blue Warp Drive

XSPC Razor R9 295X2 Full Cover GPU Waterblock (x2)

XSPC Razor R9 295X2 Backplate

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I know very little about Water Cooling, but I do know the 295's are overkill.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

2 980's then? it would be cheaper

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably, but still expensive Could go cool and quiet with 2 STRIX 970's (and look sexy <3) with support up to 4 according to your motherboard specs

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks I appreciate the advice!!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Problem no.1: Only go with 5930K if you go 4-way SLI. If you don't meet this requirement than the 5820K is (in every way) the logical choice for.

(Problem no.1.1):I'm against ForeverYMonster's second comment regarding Strix 970s, the 980s look as sexy as 970s but the main reason is the 970 is a big budget oriented, the builder has lots of money and 970s can only do 3-way SLI, defeating the purpose of getting a 5930K and a 4-way SLI mobo.

Problem no.2: mobo gets a bit overkill. I'm sure there are more reasonable priced mobos that offer the same kind of specs. Not that I'm against ROG, I personally have and love my own, but the price tag is a bit bonkers. A small, useless, made to be ignored note.

DIMMs: Are you set paying the Dominator premium?

SSD: Worst choice if you have the money. Going M.2 means you will not be using RAID. Which means you will be all lonely with that M.2 SSD. Now, you are wasting all that bandwidth by putting a SSD that only takes 2 lanes while the slot can take 4. You should evaluate if you want to get a x4 SSD (but paying another premium to get those nifty 30Gbps), or go back to the reliable SATA (which has nothing wrong with it), RAID 0/1 them. SATA configuration is more flexible, the x4 is a very fast SSD but your x2 SSD is just in an awkward position especially for you.

So, GPU... What are R9 295x2? Basically 2 R9 290Xs in Crossfire in a single card. So, scaling wise it will be almost like R9 290Xs scaling. So, in theory, 4-way GTX980s will outperform that, though, personally, there isn't much of a benefit handling 4-way, in games it will be pointless, in video editing it will be wonderful. Just to point out, handling an 55 inch 3D 1080p gives almost the same load to the GPU than handling a screen of a Samsung S5/Note 4, it's the pixels that count, not the screen size itself. You can run it on a cheap R9 270 :P

Finding a missing HDD makes me feel sad. 4TB or 6TB storage wouldn't hurt anyone. At least it didn't hurt at me.

For the modding case, just remember that you have to remember to put some standoffs for the mobo :P

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

hey I really appreciate the pointers! im not too worried bout the money, just performance. Also to point out I am doing this kind of build for future proofing somewhat. That way all i'll have to do later on is add video cards until they come out with different pci or ddr connections. I got a couple questions for you if you don't mind:

1. the only reason I was choosing the 2 295x2 was because I want to play on the highest settings, not only on a 3d 1080 hdtv, but I will eventually get a 3D 4k hdtv. My questions here are: 1.1 Are you saying that 1 295x2 is better than 2 980s'? 1.2 Since its not the size of the screen that matters, then at what point is overkill? so if I bought 1 295x2, would that be good enough to play BF4, Far Cry 4, Crysis 3, etc.., on the Max settings? 1.3 Also, is there really such a huge difference playing on a hdtv instead of a cpu monitor? even if you have the hdtv set on game mode?

2. I really don't need more than one tv or monitor. Im a decent player but I have a hard enough time looking at one monitor, lol

3. Could you point me out to a SSD that is as you suggested with the 4 lanes? I really don't know the difference between the new connections and I have a hard time finding the information that I can understand.

4. I went with the Dominator Ram because of the slick looking XSPC ram water cooler. And it only works with corsair dominator apparently.

5. Will the 5820k be fine with 2 video cards in sli or crossfire?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

1- If I base around 3DMark scores (which are a bit deceiving), the top of the line is all taken by GTX980s. R9 295X appear after a bit... I can't really tell the difference since 3DMark has a nice scaling on it. On a 4K environment I'd say that the 980s might fare a bit better and overclock better. Since you are going for a custom loop the stock coolers doesn't really matter. However... There's another factor coming in. I don't know where you are going to plug those surround sound system entrance. It's true that onboard sound cards are great and all, but imo what matters to you is where to actually plug them. You might be even stuck on buying an sound card to actually be able to plug some of your equipment if it's incompatible with the onboard sound. If such issue appears, then the R9 295X2 is a no brainer, since the 980s will take every single slot from the motherboard.

1.2 Regarding the max settings, a single 980 should be able to handle those in 1080p, though it might get a bit dubious on 4K. I do, however, recommend talking with Thecautiosone, he is probably the one who can help you the most, since he is going the same route. The best card I've played with is a GTX780 (my brother is using it on the other side of the globe) and I've been only messing around with GTX760 only. I mean, lately I've been playing: EUIV, a bit of LoL, Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft FTB (hardcore style).

1.3- The difference is zero. (Though you have to pay attention how your TV's entrances are, and how specification. You might have to spend a premium for those lastest HDMI2.0 cables, or you are wasting those because either your GPU or your TV can't support that specification. It's just we are running 4K here).

2- SSD... with 4 lanes... Here: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzhpu512hcgl00000 around your storage requirements, though it means more 100USD...

5- 5820K is fine for two 295x2 in crossfire, three 980s in 3-way SLI. However, that completely defeats the purpose of spending extra on that motherboard (something along the Deluxe is nice to pair with 5820K but we are talking in budget X99 oriented build).

I've just realized that I write too much and end forgetting some aspects that I wanted to clarify. lol.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bkGCqs I didn't go with water cooling, because it is so freaking loud. It's really too much. went with 2 980's, and got you 3 1440p asus 27" monitors. Got some extra peripherals too, but trust me, this will perform AMAZINGLY.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

well my system is going to be inside of a custom heavy duty china cabinet with anti-vibration padding and stuff. so it shouldn't be too noisy. And im not familiar with playing on multiple monitors, I can play pretty good on one big one, lol. Also I feel ill need more than a 4 core, I will be using minor cad/cam software, gaming, movies, music, and video monitoring. I do like your build if I was just using it for entertainment! Im gonna send this build to a buddy of mine, he'll like it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You and I are on similar Planes, or would it be plains? Although I am going for a 4k setup and a dream at that.

Dream on

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

nice future build! your basically doing the same thing I am. Could I ask you how many water cooling fittings I would need for my build? I'm guessing just 2 per cooling block correct? Also I'm guessing I would need some kind of water flow meter, is it difficult to tell if the coolant is circulating?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

you are correct in assuming 2 per component, now on another note you might want to just hold off until you have the parts assembled and in place to see what type of fittings you will need. Spaces in a Case can be deceiving. I have the Flow meters in the build log I showed you. I was recommended to use Aqua Meters (German) to monitor flow through software on the computer. It would be a digital reading. THe Visual flow meters could work, but not reliable.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You and everyone here has been a tremendous help. I am going to go with the GTX 980s'. And I see your point on waiting until its all assembled. Because of the custom case I wont know how long to make everything. Which brings me to more questions now:

1. Is everything im buying come with the cables I need? before answering look at question 2.

2. I would rather have the custom sleeved cables, but obviously im new at this, so what cables am I going to need? ESPECIALLY considering im adding all the lighted cooler blocks, uv lights, the warp drive reservoir, etc..?

3. With the addition of all the lighted components, will I need some kind of extra expansion card to make sure I can connect them all up?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a great reason why you should get the 3 moniters. You can the main monitor for gaming, and the other two for video editing, searching the web, etc. :)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

For reference (in case you haven't read it):

The builder wants to pair with... A 55 inch 3DTV (if I'm correct, please correct if I'm wrong). I don't really see the point of doing something as awkward of buying 3 giant TVs and squeeze it into a room :D

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Im having a hard enough time figuring out everything I need, im just gonna stick with one monitor for the moment. besides I only do one thing at a time anyway. Thanks for all the help everyone. I just figured out through you guys here that im gonna go with the 980s'. judging from what I have seen on performance reviews, the dual 980s' beat the single card of the 295x2. I originally had priced 2 of the 295x2s', I see this as total overkill now and not justifiable.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

To clarify, are you going to run on TV or monitor?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

the 980s have 1 hdmi, 3 display ports and a dvi. im pretty sure itll be ok with this tv:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55UB8500-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00II6VY6C/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

It says on the specs that itll play from a hdmi 2.0 @60hz. and from a hdmi 1.4 is @30hz. So I should be able to go with the hdmi 2.0 cable and plug and play right?

Again this raises so many questions (at least in my head) reguarding everyones use of monitors, why not go get a 55" 3D 4K hdtv for a couple hundred more and hook it up? I understand you say it wouldn't have the same colors, but why? what is the difference between red from a desktop or red from a dvd or blu-ray player?

And yeah there are ways to hookup surround sound systems to a desktop or laptop. from a laptop you can use the single audio out line like a mobile device would have. or you can use the optical audio cords for desktops. the way I have done it before on older computers was using a dual line to single line audio cord. single line out from cpu to the dual inputs to a speaker system. I have never bought a desktop oriented surround sound system. Trust if there's a will there's a way to hook it up, lol. I think I will still go with the dual 980s'.

My only concern is not getting enough power to play bf4, far cry 4, etc.. on the highest settings with a 4k tv. ive heard problems with having 2 of the 295x2s' in crossfire. basically saying your trying to crossfire 2 cards that are already crossfired independently.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You have to stick to HDMI 2.0 simply because your TV doesn't support Display Port, and the main differences between monitors and TVs... are their technologies.

I do think that two 980s will not max out at 4K, look at Far Cry 4 and Assassin Creed Unity, you can get an idea from the benchmarks around here and how troublesome both of them were (mainly regarding VRAM and blah blah blah)

Basically, regarding the two R9 295x2, the Crossfire problems are almost equivalent as having four R9 290Xs (though somehow AMD managed to lessen them to some extent imo). The yields after a 3rd are usually not worth it and personally I still don't see any reason to go 4-way because it will definitely cause the system run worse on gaming than 2-way or 3-way.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

which is better, hdmi 2.0 or a display port?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

hmmm, well im wondering how and why these guys making these games are making them more advanced than what is on the market? you normally cant make something require more than what you made it on. otherwise, how did they make it with those graphics to begin with. like bf4, how did they make that game a year ago and people still say you cant play it maxed out with current technology (ive heard this before)? So of course, they make all games with the most up to date graphics cards and drivers. Since Far Cry 4 just came out, im willing to bet they made it with 3 980s or 2 295x2s. I think you are right, a 4th graphics card is kinda overkill in a way that your not giving it much more boost, or using it to its potential. I think the game designers are using 3 cards.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm enthralled by this build. A china cabinet? I can't wait to see this!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah im really excited. im in the process of waiting on my funds to build all this, should be here in a month maybe 2 at most. Also I haven't quite decided on the cabinet yet. i thought a gun cabinet for instance. A good gun cabinet with the windows that will lock. The cut outs at the bottom where the rifle stock would normally sit is perfect for mounting fans below it (at least in my mind), just some little modifications to make it more round for the fans airflow. I will cut out the same amount of fans holes (or ports) at the top of the cabinet. This will allow me to have a push/pull type air system inside of the cabinet, also keep in mind that hot air rises, so im pulling in cold air from the bottom and the warm air is going out the top. The size of the cabinet will allow for huge radiators and reservoirs of any shape of size, and just about any mounting configuration. If the cabinet has the solid doors in the right spots, either in the middle or a little below, I will cut-out the mounting areas for the cd, dvd, blu-ray drives, USB and other ports will be mounted there as well. Of course, everything will be UV or LED of some type. Im thinking of going with the UV clear/blue color for my coolant, white sleeved cables, with 4 180mm LED blue fans at the bottom, and 4 180mm LED green fans at the top. The UV light will be at the front/top and front/bottom inside of the cabinet so it shines down and up on everything.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

This build is the tears of jesus but honestly if you have no budget you need some extra HDD space

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i'll add on to the storage with ssd's through time. They'll get cheaper as time goes by, so no need in buying 2 or more tb worth while its high. The build has a tb as it is, and that's more than enough for the games I want at the moment, and my music, and business related info for the time being.

Here's the link to the case im thinking of getting: http://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-Made-Heirloom-16-Gun-Cabinet/p/42268

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Just make sure it's very well ventilated. Those GPUs are gonna let off a lot of heat.

Be sure to post lots of pictures when complete, this is going to be unique.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The entire system will be water cooled with a 480mm radiator and 3 reservoirs(I need to edit and add the 2 extra reservoirs to the list). Plus I will have (8x) 170mm fans, 4 mounted at the bottom and 4 at the top in a push/pull type fashion. I hope that will be enough. My second concern is how im going to mount the radiator with the fans in an attractive way...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

For the time being, I'd recommend you getting this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-compute-stick,news-49533.html

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

lol. its probably better than what im using now. Its a really good idea though

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube