add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mini-ITX gaming/htpc build

the_human_oreo

61 months ago

Just looking over this build, any suggestions you guys can make?

The drives I already have and the 7970 is a deal I'm still on the fence on, how good would it be in new AAA titles at 1080p and 1440p?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU *Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £173.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £46.79 @ Aria PC
Motherboard MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard £105.59 @ Aria PC
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £62.57 @ Ebuyer
Storage Corsair Force Series GS 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £0.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £0.00
Video Card XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card £100.00
Case Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case £72.64 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Power Supply Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply £99.95 @ Scan.co.uk
Optical Drive Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer £58.68 @ Scan.co.uk
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £720.16
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-03 04:30 GMT+0000

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That case looks awesome! Although i'm not so sure installing a liquid cooler in it will be the best idea. Unless you are planning to seriously overclock the CPU, you won't need it. 7970GHz is basically r9 280x, so yeah, it should run everything on 60 fps. Unless it's Unity. But again, you should consider the lack of space in your case. This xfx card is not a blower design and the chip is quite hot. Are you sure it won't choke?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I can see about this case it appears to have 2 120mm fan mounts under where the gpu sits, and the cooler was to try and move the heat away from the centre of the case.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That's true, but I presumed one of those mounts would be occupied by the radiator. The only other place for it is on the side panel, which won't be convenient because of the tubing. And that radiator in front of the graphics card would obstruct the airflow. And even if you put the rad on the side panel the gpu won't have anywhere to exhaust the hot air other than inside the case.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Just noticed that actually, should probably look for an air moving fan for an exhaust

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I have Cooler Master SF524, it works really well for me, but i think, it was discontinued. You can look for some other CM GeminII coolers or Noctua NH-L12.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Heh, looking around I got distracted, ended up looking at getting a 290x with a hg10(?) and another h55, would be interesting in such a small case, but it might also solve the gpu heat dumping, probably.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube