add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building my First Gaming/Editing PC *Updated List* - Input Needed!

Swellers

61 months ago

Hey! I'm still in the process of picking all my pieces out, and I have come up with an updated list thanks to friends and this forum. I am getting the 1600w because within a few months after the initial build I will get a second GTX 980 (or recommended Graphic Card) and SLI them. Also the i7 that is on the list is a place-holder, I am getting the i7-5820K NOT the one listed. Please let me know what you all think!

Detailed List - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jqsGt6

PARTS

CPU -- Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz Processor

CPU Cooler -- Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard -- MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory -- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

Memory Storage -- Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive & Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive [x2]

Video Card -- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card

Case -- Thermaltake Commander G42 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply -- EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive -- Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

-

PREVIOUS BUILD (Ideas)

Here's my detailed link -- http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Swellers/saved/sj3323

PARTS

CPU -- Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler -- Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard -- MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory -- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage -- Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive & Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Cards -- Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) [x2]

Case -- Thermaltake Commander G42 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply -- Rosewill 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive -- Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

What are you planning to do with this rig? I mean, if it's only gaming, 4790k would be more than enough. Even for 2 980s that PSU is a total overkill. Your previos build seems like a more sensible choice for gaming/editing.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, I found out that my friends and I got the numbers wrong. We chose the wrong specs for the PSU. I am planning on playing a good range of games from GTA to Binding of Isaac. I would like to stream/record as I play then edit any videos I may need to edit. Thanks for replying!

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

You are welcome!

For your tasks i7 is more than suitable. It has 4 cores, so you won't have any problems in games. If you record using shadowplay there will be absolutely no hit on your performance. It also has 8 threads for all of you editing needs.

And yes, for 5820k haswell-e you'll need an x99 lga 2011 motherboard and ddr4 sticks which are pretty rare. It is enthusiast grade stuff used mostly as workstations and it's a lot of money.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you thank you thank you! Any other recommendations for other parts?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

You are welcome!

Well, video cards from evga this generation are a bit problematic. They have some problems with fans, it was on the forums. Look into asus strix, a very cool and quiet card, or msi gaming Twin Frozr V.

Get a 750w power supply like seasonic g. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr750rm It will be enough even if you decide to put a second card in sli. You can also get a cheaper motherboard. For a hundred dollars you can get one that has everything that you need and supports sli, but if you like this one, it's fine.

And that's about it :)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know, thanks again!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to build on 5820K... you need an X99 motherboard and DDR4 memory. The sockets are different, the architecture is kind of different... you will definitely end up paying a premium especially for that DDR4 memory.

To be completely honest: 4790K+2 980s will not take 750W even if you OC that CPU to 4.9/5 and the GPU to +200MHz

Newegg numbers (5960X+4x980+entire system)<1000W. Even on that configuration you need at most 1200W.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know that about the 5820k. I will have to look into that. I found out my friends and I were wrong about the specs when locating how much power I would need, I think now we are looking at a 1000W max. Any other ideas or insight you have would be greatly appreciated!

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

To be honest 5820K is really only worth if you are doing heavy editing, like pro youtubers do, and most of youtubers out there are still sporting a i5-4670K/4690K or i7-4770K or 4790K. It's more of how much of a premium you are willing to play. Remember that those extra two cores will not translate linearly into better performance though in some cases more cores might work better.

I still see the biggest problem with the 5820K is the DDR4 price. Mobos are nice but RAM... It's just... not worth it. You are paying too much.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I think I will stick with the quad-core. I didn't realize the overkill/over pricing I was doing trying to go with the 5820k.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

your 1600watt PSU is way overkill.

750 would be more than enough.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! After posting this I found out I did some wrong calculations and I had the wrong wattage.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $317.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $146.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $143.53 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ Directron
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ Directron
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $348.99 @ Directron
Case Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case $184.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $98.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1550.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-05 03:31 EST-0500

This build will max out games at 1080p. You can even add another 970 later and get better performance than a 980 for only slighty more. 5820K's need X99 mobos and DDR4 memory which will definitely jack up the price not proportionally to the performance. Check out Linus's CPU test with the gaming, streaming, editing, and rendering stress test on his channel (LinusTechTips). 1600W is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for this setup. I changed the case because it wasn't super good. I changed the card because the 980 is only marginally better performing than than the 970 and much more expensive.

*Also, if you won't be overclocking, I wouldn't recommend a 4790K and z97. Instead, I would take a 4790 and an h97. You could also ditch the aftermarket CPU cooler.

If you have any questions, just ask.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the build ideas I have an updated post here: http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/66606-getting-close-to-finalizing-my-build-input-still-helpful

Let me know what you think of this setup!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube