add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Top-Performance Non-Gaming Budget PC w/ Potential to Later become a Gaming PC

vincecano

61 months ago

This PC build is intended for the tech-savy IT / non-CAD Engineer / Programmer who needs top-performance, longetivity, and the best bang for their buck who is not currently a gamer, but may become one down the road. It's the ultimate trade attempt - performance vs price, quality vs price, feature set vs price, and longevity vs price.

Everything chosen had an average star rating of 4.5 or greater, and parts were chosen based on lots of research and reviews by the majority of the internet community. Special thanks to Eschaton, holsty101 and Vagabond139 and for their help.

Please review and leave me feedback. If users like, I will build and post pictures once finished.

Reasons for all selections can be found here http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vincecano/saved/N7PYcf

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $25.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $96.48 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $124.00 @ B&H
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.88 @ OutletPC
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $57.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.75 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $832.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-03 17:40 EST-0500

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Any/all criticism welcomed! This is my first build.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good but you mentioned the desire to Crossfire at some point and that PSU probably won't handle it. Unless NewEgg is wrong, a single R9-290 requires 600W PSU.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

you could save a bit of money and go with an i7-4790 and an h97 mobo since it doesn't look like you're going to be overclocking.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I did a lot of research and thinking about 4790 vs 4790k and h97 vs x97. What I found was that the i7-4790k has a stock clk @ 4GHz, where the i7-4790 has a stock clk @ 3.5MHz and the two are only $30 apart. I figured The extra $30 was worth it for the faster CLK even if I don't OC. Next, the x97 mobo was only ~$15 more than the h97 mobo, so I figured if I'm going with the 4790k CPU anyways, the extra $15 to get the x97 would also be worth it to give me the flexibility to OC down the road if I later find a need to OC, without having to buy a new Mobo. What do you think?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

the clockspeed will make almost no difference with these two cpus.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Why do you say that?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2235574/4790-4790k.html

Most seem to agree after noticing the CLK speed differences that the k is worth the extra $20.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

oh i guess i was a little misinformed about that. sorry

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. Thanks for the feedback

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube