add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build. Possible part list + details

ActuaryCT

61 months ago

Here is the most current draft of my part list: [edited: the link is an even newer version of my parts list]

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ActuaryCT/saved/qrQhP6

I've had nothing but a macbook air for the past 3 years and it's time to get something I can use to game with on maximum settings. I can't play Steam games on a macbook so I want to branch off into new games on Steam and also play things like assassin's creed unity. Right now I play one of the few games I can play on a mac, world of warcraft, but I have to play on the lowest settings and even then I only get 20 fps. Definitely time for an upgrade.

This part list is not final and some things may be upgraded, downgraded, added, or removed. Right now I don't have a monitor or keyboard but I have a $7 mouse.

-I know the keyboard is expensive. I haven't decided if I want that keyboard or a more modest one, but I want a mechanical keyboard for sure (not sure which switch type is best for gaming, red?).

-I don't really know what mouse to get, they all seem so expensive. Can I cheap out on the mouse?

-Storage: I at least want the operating system to boot from an SSD. not sure if what size, but I might as well get the additional 1TB of regular hard drive storage for 50 bucks.

-RAM: as soon as I found out they have RAM that lights up like that I knew I had to have it!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

one fan watercoolers have little improvements on air coolers. as it basically the h100i price I would get that or the h105 if it fits in your case because i think it retails for the same.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct256mx100ssd1 this SSD is more than double the size for a fraction more. it's a no brainer. also overkill on the psu unless you want to sli so you can save 40 dollars here.

you're paying quite a bit for that RAM in comparison to alternatives. the motherboard likewise

and do you have ethernet or?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

my motherboard has built in wifi and the internet I am signed up for is 25Mbps. I'm not sure if it would be faster to use the wifi or ethernet but I can plug ethernet into it if i need to.

I also want to replace all fans with quieter ones, and if I do end up getting the closed loop water cooler i would replace the fan in that too although I'm not sure how complicated that would be. I put the smaller H80i on the list instead of the large H100i because someone else with the same case said the H100i didn't line up with the holes properly. I might just go with an air cooler but I want the fan to be relatively quiet.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2PCxkL I saved some money and got a better cpu cooler.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, what PSU wattage is best for a build like this?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

there's no best psu wattage so to speak its just higher psu suck more power from the mains but 500w gives you more then enough to run this and reasonable headroom.

don't fret about it though because that's a good psu and i got it ;) it was if you wanted to save a bit for some reason

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube