add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build with a Personal Breakdown on every part

16aswag

61 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q2F2ZL

So here is my breakdown:

CPU: Obvious Choice. Best clocked processor, overclockable, and 4 cores (don't really need much more)

CPU Cooler: Best cooler for the money, not worried about much with that

Motherboard: Asus is a good brand. I needed a Z97. so I went with this one. (Question: should I go with the MSI Z97 Gaming Edition?)

Memory: 16 gigs of DDR3 ram for a good price. Will help run games better also. (Question: Probably shouldn't go with anything more than this, correct?)

Storage: This SSD has been BOOMING. I'm gonna put the operating system on this, and all my more important games :) I don't really need the hardrive, because I already have a 4tb hardrive :P

Video Card: Went with a gtx 980 by MSI. Its cheap, and I personally LOVE MSI... (Question: Should I go with the Gigabyte or Asus 980, or stick with MSI?)

Case: Highest Rated for a reason. Not really gonna be looking at the case much, so I could honestly care less. I just want it to fit everything nicely, which this case does.

Power Supply: Went with a EVGA 750W 80+ Gold version. This will do great if overclocking, its gold, its 2x what I will need (according to pcpartpicker), and its fully modular, which will come in handy when building.

Optical Drive: I am really only going to use an optical drive to download the operating system... It's really well rated too.

Operating System: Already have due to my sister working at Microsoft :3

Moniter: I chose these monitors because they are a nice size (I have a pretty small desk). They have a 1ms response time, which will be amazing for gaming. Well known brand as well.

Keyboard: Razer. Black Widow. 5 macro keys. Mechanical. Enough said. :3. (Question: Should I get the black widow ultimate for 20 more dollars?)

Mouse: Razer. DeathAdder. 2 macro keys. Really don't need much more.

Headphones: Good brand with a filtered microphone. Pretty good ratings also, for a good price.

Speakers: Cheap and have some nice ratings. I know they are cheap, but that is just a backup in case I don't use headphones, so I'm really not that worried.

Thanks! :)

If the build is really bad (it probably will be lol), feel free to make me a build as well :3

I really don't want this to be more then 2,000 dollars, cause I only have 1800 at the moment (and I'm 12, so it takes a good amount of time to get money :3)

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

16gb really won't help much with gaming, it's only really if you're going to be editing and things like that, 8 will be absolutely fine.

If your options are between an ssd and a hdd, I'd go for the hdd. It'll be slower but it'll have a lot more storage for cheaper, I'd go with the western digital caviar blue 1tb. The main reason for this really is that ssds get slower the more you put on them, they'll still probably be faster than a hdd, but I don't think it'd be worth it really.

I'd go for an msi gtx 970 instead and put in another one when you have the money, they'll outperform a 980 for a little bit more expensive.

You don't need the optical drive for windows, you can download everything you need to install it onto a flash drive and boot off that, it'll be a lot faster too.

Aside from that it's a pretty solid build.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Edit: Not sure if you edited it in after I read it or if I just completely blanked it, but ignore the part about the hdd!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response! Everything is very valid here, except for the ram part. Since I have a good amount of money, I can cut that if I need to, come build time. Would you recommend getting an optical drive? I think I should, just from a convenience stand point.

Btw I didn't edit it :p

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah fair enough, if you're getting an i7 you might as well I suppose.

Optical drives are good if you still have a load of dvds lying around, but aside from that I wouldn't worry about it too much, you can get everything online nowadays anyway.

Yeah I have a bad history with not registering what I've read sometimes, it's an amazing talent!

One thing I'd recommend in future is possibly getting an all in one water cooler so you can overclock a little better, but aside from that the edited build looks good to go to me!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube