add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The relationship between resolution, framerate and refresh rate

boulmerbear

61 months ago

Can you play games in 1080p at 144hz if the monitor allows it?

Is hz the same as framerate?

Is it worth paying extra on parts to play at 1440p if the monitor is 24 inch?

Is there much difference between 120hz and 144hz?

Thanks

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

just get the best you can afford

more is better apart from when it comes to refresh rates.

1080p is better than 720p and 1440p is better than 1080p

the shorter the refresh rate the better (1 ms)

the more hz the better

A lot comes down to the graphics card you use though, unless you have a top graphics card then 1440p and 144hz are wasted

when thinking about the monitor consider the card you are getting and that should help with your decision on the monitor

Not a particularly technical explanation but as much as you need to know to make a decision

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

"the shorter the refresh rate the better (1 ms)"

Not necessarily. Some people prefer IPS monitors, which can't get those 1-2 ms response times, but often deliver superior coloring (in addition to better viewing angles).

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

1) Yes.

2) Depends on what you mean by that. Hertz is the amount of times the monitors refreshes every second. The framerate generally refers to how frames per second your GPU is computing.

3) There are no 1440p 24" monitors, sadly. They're all 27 (plus a few larger) from what I can find and what's here on PCPP.

4) Other than 144hz is what all the Cool Kids have, there probably is not really that significant of a difference. There are many who think anything over 60hz is not really noticeable. I don't think that 144hz would be worth more than a couple bucks over a 120 if that was the only thing distinguishing the two monitors.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have ever seen games running at 120 fps on a 120 hz monitor, you would know you're wrong. There is a massive difference in games running at 144+ fps and 144 hz. It's not just a little smoother, it's unbelievably good to play games with low and (if you are able) high requirements on, tf2/cs:go are low req, and I can even run shadow of mordor at 120 hz/fps. It's mind blowing how good it looks. Now, for your decision i'd choose 120 hz/1080p if you're gpu can support putting out 120 fps consistently on the games you want to play, they are much cheaper, and the difference between 120 and 144 is minimal. 90-100 hz is where you start to see big differences.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

For clarification, I was talking about the difference between 120 and 144 hertz. I believe those who say gaming higher than 60hz is much smoother, though I personally prefer more pixels and better image quality over a faster screen (to some extent, anyway).

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm wondering if I should even bother with going higher than 1080p, since smooth gameplay will always be more important to me than resolution.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube