add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Builder - Curious of if this is a compatible build??? Advice??

ngwag

61 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ngwag/saved/6NNWGX

Comments are welcomed.

Also this is my first time building a computer. I am very excited about this process. Spent already a few weeks just doing my research, and looking up parts, just the basic's of what each component does. A very exhilarating experience. I would appreciate any advice on what to do as a first time builder, as far as what to put inside of the rig and importantly HOW TO. I am a bit nervous but i believe I can manage.

P.S. My gf and I live together so I wisely checked with her first as far as what color scheme to go with. The white and blue was a favorite between us so I was trying to stick with that theme. Red was a no go with her. What can I say lol.

Also the budget is $1000-1400.

Thanks Everyone

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Made a couple small changes...mostly better SSD and a motherboard that matches your desired color scheme better (and it's a good board), and changed power supply and changed to the OC'd version of that video card.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KztzGX

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. I do like the new changes to the SSD and MOBO, especially since it matches the color scheme. As for the GPU though. I don't think I want to dabble into OC just yet. I plan to keep this rig for a good while but don't feel comfortable with the upkeep I believe is needed to have an overclocked one. At least for my first build I think I will hold off on that.
Again, thank you for the input.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean? The upkeep? Please explain

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, i'm still very new. I have the theory that if you OC, you need liquid cooling, correct? Also that if you OC, the product doesn't last as long, correct? I apologies if i'm making no sense.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

ok I understand now. You probably won't need liquid cooling as they overclock it for you and it is stable plus it has acx 2.0(someone correct me if i am wrong) and about the amount of time it will last i am not the person to ask

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohhh OK, so is liquid cooling more for the CPU then? I don't mind the idea of OC if it doesn't hinder the longevity of the component. I am basically making this rig an investment. Spend a good chunk now, with the expectations of it lasting a good while.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

What does he mean when he says upkeep? It comes overclocked out of the box

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I just plan to game. It will be mainly for me, but the gf will of course use it while i'm at work. She is heavy into photo taking/editing so i'm sure she'll eat up a lot of my RAM. Overall though, just gaming, with no urge to really push for the best. I want this rig to last.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Good thing your going with intel. But i think you might as well get sc version but go get more opinions if you want to know for sure

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

So I took the advice on the build from sharkbyte5150, all but the GPU, just because i'm still unsure about the whole "OC". Don't think I really need it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ngwag/saved/Nn7Zxr

How do you think this build lives up? Also any tips/ pointers for a first time builder? I'm also curious about if I will need any specific tools.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I probably caused some unnecessary confusion by saying I chose the "OC'd" version of that same GPU without explaining that it's just a factory superclocked version for a boost in performance (from 1.05GHz to 1.17GHz) without you having to do any tampering for the same price.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I was a bit cautious of that. I see now it is was smart choice to get that little extra boost that is already done for me. Why not right. I will be using the part layout you made. Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to building it.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohhhhhh, OK. The explains so much about the OC, Thank you. I have been doing some research so far and plan to keep seeking more information even after I build it. There's so much out there, it's amazing. Thank you for confirming that this build will work, and I will go ahead with the OC version of the GPU. I won't be making the purchase till either the end of the week or 2 weeks from now (pay periods). When I do get it though, I plan to show/ share the process with the community.

Again, thank you everyone for helping me out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube