add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Gaming PC build ever, I need to make sure I can expand on it for a few years. Please add input.

Jayballsoffire

61 months ago

Okay, so here it is. Not really too pricey so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jayballsoffire/saved/N4q7YJ

Do I need and aftermarket cooler? Do I need a sound card?

I have a hard drive, DVD-RW, and a Wifi adapter. Thought not too sure how good a usb wifi adapter works.

I am really hoping to pair the GPU here sometime next year. Also wondering if this build allows for easy upgrading and CPU changing.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Changed out some parts.

• Changed Video card to a better cooled Asus model (or you can pick MSI/Gigabyte, whichever).

• Changed case and PSU. 450W will not be enough power for everything, nor will it leave any room for upgrading.

• Added 650W PSU

• Added Case.

• Added Thermal Compound as you mentioned swapping out the CPU later. Additionally, if you're not going to overclock, a stock fan should be fine. Otherwise, invest in a 212 Evo or the Noctua series (D14's etc).

Parts below.

Happy Gaming!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $223.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste $2.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.99 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.50 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card $348.99 @ NCIX US
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $57.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Rosewill 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $92.00 @ B&H
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $33.64 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1009.07
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-04 20:24 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The Thermaltake V2 is a bad choice mainly due to the fact that the included PSU only has a single 6-pin PCI-E power connector, but the Zotac GTX 970 requires two such connections. http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002103

Sure...you could use adapters and make it work but honestly with such nice components I think you should consider choosing a case that does not incude a power supply and then look for a good quality power supply.

Pick a case that you think looks good and then if you need help choosing a PSU then come on back.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I was trying to shave some money off by getting a case with a power supply. Damn, 70 bucks for a power supply is kinda steep.

I don't plan on over clocking anything right now but I could always put a fan in later right?

Anyway to get this rig back around $900 without sacrificing performance?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

A couple things you could try.

Downgrade your CPU to one of the ones around the $180/$190 ish spot. (they're still i5's. I"m running the 4460 as I didnt want to pay a premium, and all my games are currently on Max/Ultra settings with the GTX970)

See if 2x4GB ram is cheaper than 1x8GB

If possible, it may be cheaper to run 25FT of cable for $20 inastead of the wireless network card. Other than that.. you'd have to downgrade your GPU, which would REALLY sacrifice the performance.

Not a lot of wiggle room on this build unfortunately. Mobo is fairly cheap already, and has some great features, you could search for a cheaper one around the $100 price point as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube