add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time builder. Does everything look compatible? About to order...

Bigmomma59plus10

61 months ago

Hi, I'm new here and new to computer building so this is definitely a learning experience for me. I have got together most of what I plan to use except I will be adding a graphics card once I get everything up and running. I plan on making future upgrades as money allows and am leaving room within the build for those upgrades such as I'm going with a stronger PS than I need. I wanted something that suits my needs basically and I do not plan on much intense gaming as of now. I am aware some parts capability will end up bottlenecking performance potential of others but this way is cheapest and most practical for my needs I believe. I luckily am able to get Windows 8.1 from my school for free and will use a HDMI monitor I plan to buy for $50. I would just like to get some extra opinions mainly on compatibility before I start ordering stuff. I want to be sure everything is compatible so I don't end up breaking anything or wasting money/time. I think everything should be good except I was not terribly positive about the power supply compatibility. I do plan on having friends help me on my build who have built their own computers also. I would greatly appreciate a verification that these parts are compatible so I have the green light on ordering them.

Thank you!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $99.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $44.99 @ Micro Center
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $63.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $61.84 @ Amazon
Case Zalman ZM-T1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $32.91 @ OutletPC
Power Supply Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $48.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) $129.00 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $481.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-04 23:23 EST-0500

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhhh I hate to tell you this but unless I missed something in your description then this build will not make a picture as there is no GPU. FX processors don't have integrated graphics.

In other words it can't be build as is and add a GPU later.

HD is overpriced, you can get 1TB 7200 rpm for that $ or less.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard says "Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics" so I shouldn't need a GPU right now should I? I don't plan on anything intensive right now. And I believe the RAM should be to manufacturer spec...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you got a dedicated gpu to use?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhh I missed that part. I didn't realize the MB had graphics on-board. My bad....

I'll go back to the Intel side of the road where I'm more familiar with components.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The MB really has graphics built on the MB..... Surprise!!! ( at least to me )

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but they suck.

Get a Radeon R7 260 or GTX 650 at least, either will make a good pairing for that CPU.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

He said he was going to add a GPU at a later date and just wanted to get it up and running.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r3RrP6 I got slightly bigger and better case and a liquid cpu cooler. I got a 860k because it has a much better mirco atx motherboard selection and shouldn't bottleneck any gpu you put in it unless its a r9 290 or a gtx 780

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Does he really need liquid cooling? and is 480 the max amount of money you can spend?

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't plan on or need liquid cooling and noise isn't much of a concern of mine since I'm sure my toshiba laptop is noisier than a few low decibel fans haha. And I have access to an OS for free. It's a budget build since I don't need much, but I am leaving myself room to upgrade basically

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I interpreted it as he already had a gpu.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I chose the case based on size limitations mainly and I don't plan on anything intensive. Thank you!

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard has integrated graphics and I will be adding a GPU once it's up and running well

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Does my power supply look good compatibility wise though? That's my main concern although I believe it should be. I just want second opinions to be sure since I am new and cautious

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good. A quick Google search turned up no reviews but it has high ratings on PCPP.

You might look at a 7200 rpm HD for better performance also.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

A dude can you check my build look for the topic that has a pc for 1200

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything is compatible but you are probably paying too much for the RAM and HDD. Unless I am missing something it appears you have selected 8B of ddr3 1333 which is fine but you could pay the same price for DDR3 1600MHz.

Team Yellow 2x4GB: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/team-memory-tzyd38g1600hc9dc01

G.skill Ripjaws X 1x8GB: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl10s8gbxl

It's standard practice nowadays to recommend a 1TB hard disk drive regardless of the build except for extreme low budget builds or cheap projects neither of which apply to this situation. Get the cheapest 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" hard drive, of which there are handful to choose from for less than the 500GB.

This one is only fifty bucks or 55 without rebate: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help everyone! Really means a lot

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube