add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Having huge trouble matching parts - gaming build

juann

61 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $109.98 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $80.98 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $96.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $348.99 @ Directron
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $88.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $725.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-05 10:27 EST-0500

So I'm looking to build a gaming PC. I want to build it and then have peace and quiet for a couple years :) No overclocking and no upgrades other than storage space. My knowledge of PCs is limited, but a bit of research tells me that I simply need the best GPU possible for gaming - so I picked a good one. The ram and ssd are just examples but this part seems all straightforward so far.

Now my first question is about the CPU. I picked it because it seems to be the most bang for the buck option, and I'd be happy to use this one. Does it match well with the GPU though? Won't it throttle the GPU performance? If it certainly won't, how slow can you go for a CPU then to still get the gtx 970's full performance (just out of curiosity)?

Another question: what mobo do I need? I want to save money if possible. Everywhere I look people keep recommending the 87/97 line boards, but it seems like H81 might be better for me. Two Sata III, so one spare when I buy another SSD/HDD. One graphic card slot - just right. Two memory slots - just right. What about the USB 3.0 then? On my current, ancient PC I plug the mouse and keyboard into the USBs on the front panel. I'd like to continue doing so, but will those precious two 3.0 ports on a 81 mobo get forwarded to the front of my case? Will they be in the back and 2.0 gets wired to the front? I need the 3.0 for pendrives / external drives etc, right? For keyboard and mouse it makes no difference? Other than missing extra slots for stuff, I'm seeing that the H81 doesn't have "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RAID)" or "Smart Response Technology". Are those anything important? Or simply put, will the H81 decrease my performance in any way? They are so much cheaper that it makes me think maybe they're somehow less reliable/crappy built/lower performance?

Next problem is the PSU, what do I need? This seems the black magic part to me, please bear with me... From what I've figured out so far it seems saving money on manufacturer is a horrible idea, so I'm looking to go with Corsair? Hopefully they're good? So let's say I'm planning to get my H81 micro ATX board, the i3 4150, 2x4gb ram, one SSD and eventually one more SSD/HDD, and the GTX 970. What's my wattage? In case I need H97 - what's my wattage then? The problem is I've noticed even the same manufacturer has several models for the same wattage. So if I wanna save money I might be picking up the non-modular version. I'm perfectly fine with cables dangling around inside the case, I'll manage. But again, these non-modular versions are so much cheaper that it makes me think it can't be just that. Is the performance affected on these budget versions? Is it perhaps the case that a cheap version 600W is like an expensive 500? Or it's just the modularity that make the price so different?

Last thing, the case. Should I be saving money, or is it worth the investment to get a really well ventilated one or something, to get more performance thanks to the lower temperatures I suppose? But I'm not overclocking anything anyway, so will it count? I don't mind much how it looks. If I'm buying a micro ATX board anyway then I guess I don't need a very big case, although I like the idea of a mid tower. In fact I like the idea of an ATX board too but from what I'm seeing that's a price increase in case of an H81, and I'm not sure it's justified. If I had to go H97 for some reason then I'd get the full ATX version I guess...

I realize this is all rather chaotic, but I'm thankful for any help and advice, because right now my head is so full of question marks...

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

For a case, I'd suggest a NZXT source 210. Cheap and high quality. For your power supply, it's usually safe to go with EVGA or Corsair. And motherboard, you'd be fine with a H81. The Z series mobos are for overclockers(and the cpu you chose can't be overclocked anyway.) And to be honest, even if the i3 did bottleneck the 970, it wouldn't by much. Also, if you do not wish to upgrade, an AMD build may be better for you if you do not have a lot of money to spend.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea try to get an i5 maybe a 4440

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube