add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build for personal use, some high level gaming and high end video editing

Rickrd227

61 months ago

My son and I have gone back and forth on this one. I have dabbled in PC's for years so I'm not to worried about assembly Note that I have a used Corsair 300 R case that we will use. Question is how much an overkill this system is? I think my son has other ideas.....

Thanks in advance. Rick

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jXRrP6

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

IMO, the 980 doesn't have too much of a performance improvement over the 970 to justify the ~$200 difference; could just OC the 970 and get about as much performance, if not more, as a normal 980. Also note that the Gigabyte cards are freaking massive due to their coolers though it should fit fine in your case

Have to question how effective 2133 RAM is over the less expensive 1866 and 1600 MHz variants (as I don't know how well it affects video editing though I'd venture to say "not as much as the CPU") as well as a Blu-Ray drive unless you tend to use those quite a bit

Would get the Corsar MX100 256/250GB SSD, save yourself about ~$90.

Would get this PSU, it's considered top tier and runs cheaper (as well as gaining more wattage though you can get the 750W variant for $1 less :p ). Hell, you could even spend a bit more for the AX760i if you want to stick with Corsair, 80+ Plat, and a top-tier PSU

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You could get the ASRock Extreme 6 mobo at microcenter with the processor for $115 (after $15 MIR)- tier 1b mobo just like the one you selected. Although the differences between the extreme6 and extreme4 is a few things most people would never used (m2 ultra port, thunderbird, extra sata3 ports, 2nd LAN port).

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series and Trident X Series DDR3-2133 CAS 9 RAM are much cheaper.

If you are going to spend that much on a PSU, you should at least get a seasonic. But a 850W G2 Supernova is much cheaper and gives you room to SLI gtx 980s and OCing down the road.

Windows 7?

You could get a i7-E/LGA2011-3 build with that money.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

"You could get a i7-E/LGA2011-3 build with that money." This

Instead of wasting money OCing it with crazy expensive AIO water cooler, just get i7-5820 six core processor and some cheap LGA 2011-3 mobo, you don't even need to OC it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube