add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thoughts on this build?

xilikas

61 months ago

I posted a build yesterday but decided to change a few things.

EDITED: changed Seagate 2TB to Western Digital Black 2TB as recommended.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $306.98 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z97M Killer Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $153.98 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $87.99 @ Memory Express
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $139.97
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.99 @ Canada Computers
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $379.99
Case BitFenix Pandora MicroATX Mid Tower Case $129.60 @ DirectCanada
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Newegg Canada
Monitor LG 25UM55-P 60Hz 25.0" Monitor Purchased For $199.00
Wireless Network Adapter Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $59.99 @ Memory Express
Keyboard Logitech Keyboard Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard Purchased For $74.99
Keyboard Razer Tartarus Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $74.99
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $49.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1947.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-05 22:33 EST-0500

I bought the SSD a while ago, along with the Logitech wireless keyboard and the Tartarus. The Deathadder was more of a recent purchase and just bought the monitor today (on sale from $299). It's 2560 x 1080.

I went with the Xeon processor because I'm not confident in overclocking the CPU and I heard it's performance is on par with an i7. I'll be gaming and programming and I'd like to be able to run numerous applications at once. I still went with a Z97 motherboard though so that I may SLI in the future (if you find a H97 that supports SLI [not Crossfire], please link it). Lastly, the GTX 970 is a reference design that's available at Best Buy in the US. I prefer the reference design over aftermarket designs because it exhausts heat out the back of the case.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're programming you might want to bump up to 16gigs of ram or higher, you also might want to go with a western digital caviar blue or black drive since they're a bit more reliable than seagate. Other than that it looks good to me with your explanations!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just in college and my programming workloads aren't as intensive (but I do wanna get into making bigger programs sooner rather than later) and I know future proofing is hard to do, but I want it to last a while (only a year of college left anyway).

I'll look into Western Digital drives, thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube