add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time hypothetical mid-range build (gaming and everyday use)

joeyloads

61 months ago

Intro:

Currently I'm running an inherited Windows Vista desktop with 4 GB of RAM and an atrocious graphics card in it. It's a Ge Force 100. Needless to say, this thing sucks. I'm surprised it played Fallout New Vegas.

I haven't put together a computer in about a decade. I've spent about the past week looking into buying, then building a decent replacement. I use my desktop to torrent, browse the web, burn discs, for office use, etc.

I'm interested in PC gaming although I'm still playing a PS3. So I'm not exceptionally picky when it comes to high-end graphics. I'd like this machine to be a multi-purpose tool that will last a few years or will be easily upgradable.

So considering my current PC is pretty awful, I'm not terribly picky and I'm not looking to break the bank on a new desktop and appropriated a budget of around $850 for this project.

Did I add I really have no idea what I'm doing?

I picked the Intel i5 processor and to my knowledge it isn't overclockable. I honestly don't think I'd get around to it anyway. I plan on using the computer for 75% internet browsing, media and as a work computer.

I'm not decided on the graphics card I selected yet.

I added an optical drive that can read blu-ray discs. I already have an HDMI cord hooked up to a 32" smart TV I use as a monitor. I also have a decent set of Logitech speakers with a subwoofer.

I selected a Seagate 2GB HDD and a Crucial 240 GB SSD that I'll put Windows 7 OS on.

I feel like I could slim a few things down or add a nicer component considering it looks like I stayed within budget.

Feel free to make any suggestions. If I can get anything cheaper or avoid screwing something up, I appreciate any input.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2RCjsY

Base Total: $871.63
Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00
Total: $841.63

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be better to go with a dual-channel ram set. So instead of one stick of 8gb ram, take two stick of 4gb ram, This will give you better performance in gaming and other applications. Also the psu for this build is really at the minimum of what could work. I suggest to at least go 100w over tdp (438w in your case so at least a 550w psu) and if possible with 80+ certification or better within a good brand.

Since you don't have an after market cooler and can't overclock it's really not necessary to buy thermal compound. The stock cpu cooler come with some pre-apllied and it's sufficient.

Lastly, if you want to shave a few bucks, since you're not gonna overclock the cpu, you could try to find a cheaper mobo that still have the features you want.Other than that, the parts seem to be a good choice for a gaming pc in that budget.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

There isn't needed 100w more... But quality PSU with better specs. XFX 550w will do the job, While EVGA 500B might do the job quality is pretty mediocre no better than CX500.

Stick with H97 chipset that way you have bigger specter of cpu's to use, like broadwell.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I found a better brand and changed out the graphics card so the power supply now seems adequate.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Better brand than seasonic? Hardly there is anything, that rosewill crap you picked is just as worse as evga 500b and cx500. You can pick a XFX 450w it's enogh power and quality parts as well as made by seasonic

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I think by better brand I meant more power for the CPU and GPU, I must have updated this list like six times. I also did mention I'm putting together my first computer in about a decade. I'm actually asking for advice or even constructive criticism, as I really have no practical wisdom.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats the thing You picked less power for your CPU and GPU it's not just looking at 550w. You have to look at specs and quality of parts and who makes that PSU.

Rosewill HIVE 550w you picked if you look at specs it has 38amps and 456watts on +12v rail, yup at max peak load it can only feed GPU or cpu 456w and 38w on 12v+ rail which is the main rail that feeds bigger components such as CPU, GPU, Hard drives, mobo.

Lets take a look XFX 550w it has 44amps on +12 rail and 528watts on +12rail, thats much more.

but lets take a look who acctually makes Rosewill Hive 550w, it's Sirtec OEM it's same company that makes Chieftec PSU not really something special.

Lets take a look who makes XFX 550w, it's Seasonic OEM, they wer the first that made PSU's for Apple II and IBM PC back in 80s their build quality and expertise is top quality among PSU thats why if you go on any PC forum everyone will rather recommend seasonic and pay 10-15$ more becuase they get quality parts inside their psu. Another thing is there is a reason why Rosewill Hive 550 has only 3 year warranty all XFX PSU have 5-7 years.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I changed out the RAM and MOBO. I'm not sure if I want the graphics card I chose but it runs a lot less power.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $187.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $90.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $57.00 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card $214.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill HIVE 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $34.75 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For $0.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $844.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 00:39 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't exactly help your lower power requirements, but it'll give you better in game performance. Do you have a Micro Center near you?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah, I'm stuck ordering components online unless I want to go to Walmart. Boonies.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sure it counts as cheating, but I counted the free game with the GPU as $60 off, lol! An r9 290 or 290x could be built around and probably allow for a better CPU and MoBo though.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $174.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $55.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $53.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $77.75 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $339.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill HIVE 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $34.75 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $916.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 01:01 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dTVrP6

This seems good. I added your RAM and hit a combo with a case and the MOBO has a rebate.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

how about a 4590? It's a better chip than the 4460 for only ~$15 more.

I also liked the Z97 from the one before your edit - it wouldn't risk having to BIOS update, it was Crossfire capable, and it had better onboard audio.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Which MOBO did you suggest? I was checking prices on three brands. I'm not sure which list you viewed.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It was probably this one. Inexpensive H97, Crossfire capable, and decent onboard audio

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $185.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $75.98 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $57.00 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card $219.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $34.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $857.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 12:10 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube