add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
AndyZ

61 months ago

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a Workstation for CATIA / NX / Solidworks (maybe) use, and also for FEA (structural, maybe even automotive crash analysis) / CFD (external aerodynamics, turbine flow etc.). This is what I have come up with so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mh86P6

1) Haven't decided on a video card yet. Probably gonna be a Quadro K2200 or something.. any opinions on this? Budget will be around 500-600$ for the card, anything better around that price (ATI)? - Is there any gaming card that would keep up with CAD (I'm guessing I won't be dealing with super complex assemblies for now anyway...) that would be better suited at this point, and maybe switch to a professional card in the future when needed? Only problem is as far as I know, Solidworks doesn't run on gaming cards.. - Also for info, I have a used Quadro FX4600 at home, I heard it has problems with Win7, is it a viable option for now?

2) The prices where I live put my build at around 50% more. But for the sake of simplicity, let's say my budget is ~1,000$ for the rest of the build (so everything but the video card) in PCPartPicker shown prices. Anything you would change in my build?

3) The build in the link doesn't include the case, as I haven't found it here. I'm thinking Corsair Graphite 230T Black, it has good dimensions for the place I'm putting it in, it comes with 2 front fans and 1 rear fan, + room for a 280mm radiator at the top, which brings me to my next dilemma.. Air or water cooling? I'm thinking Noctua NH-D14 vs Cooler Master Nepton 280L. I know the Noctua is very good, but is it enough for the CPU running for 2-3 days in full load doing some CFD simulation? Price difference between these 2 options is not important, I just want a stable system with room for a bit of OC if needed.

4) Is the 600W power supply enough to cover any one-video-card configuration for the future? Should I bump it to 750W?

Sorry for the long post, here's the build link again, if you missed it in the wall of text... :) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mh86P6 Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Everything you have set up in this build will do you just fine for everything you are doing. I don't know if you prefer Nvidia/AMD, but a good gaming card to go ahead and throw in would be the GTX 970. Great price/performance.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The GTX 970 is the only one I'd buy out of the consumer line-up, but I'm concerned about the precision in CAD. I might work with parts that require very precise geometries, like engine parts, and I'm wondering if the 970 (or any gaming card for that matter) might cause problems.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sooo I have no idea what CAD is. GTX TITANs are good for video editing, or anything that requires a lot of physical video memory.

Quadros are good for workstations and servers, if you're looking to like put something up for a long time or something like that.

I think the Noctua NH-D14 will do you well. Okay. It's brown, doens't look visually appealling and all that jazz, but it works very well.

It is slightly hotter by the 280L by like a degree or two, but it's really just a degree or two. And there is a chance of leaking on this 280L.

Hoep this helps!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply BionicMike.

By CAD I mean CATIA, Solidworks, basically software for mechanical design. I won't be doing video editing or Photoshop, but some clients might require some 3D renders of products in Solidworks (which doesn't work without workstation cards). Current budget allows me either K2200 or Firepro W5000.

The reason I'm asking about the CPU cooling is because I also plan on doing structural/aerodynamics/crash analysis, and that would require maybe even 2-3 days of full load on the CPU, crunching numbers.. It would be the same as rendering for architecture or something.. I suppose the Noctua can handle anything, it's not like CPUs weren't used for days in full load before liquid cooling came along.....with much worse coolers than the NH-D14.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube