add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How can I save money on this build?

D0L4NDUKE

61 months ago

Hey folks. here's my potential build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LZWjsY

Any ideas how I could save some money on it without too much performance loss? I wanna stick to the GTX 970 tho, havent found any valuable alternative yet.

Also, does anyone know when the prices on these items will drop? They kinda are the same since octobre.

Thanks guys, Flo

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Performance in what? What upgrades are you considering in the future?

You could get the unlocked i5-4690k + Extreme4 mobo for about the same price if you get them both at microcenter ($40 off for processor+mobo bundle). Although if you do this, you may want to consider getting a better quality and slightly high wattage PSU for OCing later on, but even if you don't OC the 4690k is a better processor anyways. If you are not getting an unlocked processor, then you could get a cheaper mobo such as an H97.

Get things when they are on sale. Don't be too picky about the exact model or brand. It took me about a month to get all my parts although I started around black friday (processor + mobo at microcenter is cheaper than any sale and the gtx 970 is not going to get more than a $10 discount so those don't count for this)

1x8gb, DDR3-1866 CAS 10 for $63 (after $20 MIR): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m1a1866c10

2x4gb, DDR3-2133 CAS 9 for $70 (after $10 MIR): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f317000cl9d8gbsr

You could just not get a HDD depending on your usage.

Have you considered the GTX 960?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you alot for your input..I'm not really planning on overclocking, and the 4690 is quite more expensive here in germany than the 4590..the idea with the H97 is good, i'll give that a thought! Sadly, there dont seem to be any sales here or i just happen to miss them all the time, but i keep checking diverse online stores, but prices kinda stay the same.. perhaps i'll really leave the hdd out for the beginning and work with my external hdds till i can afford the internal one. the gtx960 would be an option, if i knew when exactly it will be released (afaik they only speak of beginning of 2015), but even then it would only cost like 20€ less than the 970..

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh. I saw you listed microcenter as where you were getting the processor.

I generally watch newegg's sales, but no clue what's available there.

I've heard the 960 would be released at the end of this month, but maybe that's just a rumor or when they are going to give the full specs/cost/release date.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

yeah heard the same thing, but some other sources said they'd release it in the first quarter of 2015, so it could still be some time. Also I dont want to rely on the benchmarks of it that are out right now, as they are quite speculative. time will show if the 960 will be any good :/

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Gave ya a cheaper MoBo to use funds else ware.

Better and cheaper RAM.It has lower voltage and CAS while being low profile. Higher DDR3 speeds don't gain anything unless you're going APU.

Newer generation EVO SSD.

Gold standard and higher wattage PSU being fully modular and SLI capable.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $187.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $132.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $359.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $34.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1095.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-06 05:44 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you for your comment and effort! i think i'm gonna stick to the asrock z97 extreme3 mobo, i'm buying in germany and prices are quite different here :/ the crucial ballistix RAM is also more expensive here..

i'm gonna consider the optical drive tho!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube