add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade old pc or start fresh?

Xiles

61 months ago

Hello everyone, I am looking to update the first gaming computer I ever built . Ive had it since 2011 , it cost me about 900$ and since then I have replaced the motherboard and power supply. Aside from those two parts it has been going strong and been able to run every game I throw at it on high settings. However lately with newer games it is starting to have some trouble keeping up and the CPU has been overheating.

After some much needed cleaning today came to the reality that I will need to upgrade soon, however I am not sure if I should upgrade or just build a new rig. Also would I benefit from any overclocking, or would that just be too stressful on my oldish parts?

All opinions would be GREATLY appreciated as im still fairly new to all this. Also my budget to bring her back to life if its worth it to do so is around 300-400$ if not then I will save about 1k and just start from scratch and keep this as a backup PC.

The main things I probably need to upgrade are the video card/ram/HDD. Once again any input is greatly appreciated and WILL be used.

Current Specs are:

CPU AMD Phenom ii x6 1100t 3.3ghz
CPU Cooler Stock heatsink although it had a Coolermaster logo on it.
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 EVO ( less than 1yr old )
Memory 2x 2gb Ram
Storage 1TB Seagate HDD ( at capacity ) very slow/making weird noises
Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6700 series

Power Supply Thermaltake Smart 850W modular ( less than 1yr old )

Operating System Win7 Pro 64bit

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Your low RAM is hurting you a bit. That would be one of the first things I would upgrade. Second, your HDD is starting to go...highly recommend you back up anything you want from it onto an external HDD if you have one.

You can use a lot of the components you currently have and upgrade; keeping your MOBO, PSU, etc. For storage I recommend a small SSD boot drive, a second 521GB SSD for your games/programs, and an HDD for pics, music, data. Did not include a 512GB SSD in list below, but M550 512GB would add $172.00

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $168.95 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $62.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $55.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $269.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart M 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full (32/64-bit) Purchased For $0.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $610.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-06 19:54 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ravenwolf thank you for the reply.

Alot of what you posted is what I was leaning towards, however some of it I would have to hold off on. Can I get away with not upgrading the CPU? Adding the additional ram, new hdd and video card. Also leaving the ssd for a possible boot speed upgrade when I can spend a bit more and also get win 8?

Will my old video card be of any use with the new r9 290 and same for the old ram or would I have to remove those?

That is a good price for the r9 290 btw , what do you think about this refubed 290x on newegg though?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105033&cm_re=r9_290x-_-14-105-033-_-Product

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You have 4 slots for RAM, so you could just add 2 more sticks of 2GB. BUT, you would need to get same exact RAM you have now. Look at cost. The G.Skill are great and at a good price, plus leaves you room if ever want to go to 16GB for a possible RAMdisk. If go with new RAM, do NOT use the old RAM.

Your CPU will possibly cause a bottleneck with R9 290, but may be something you can live with until can upgrade CPU. or could go with 6300 or 6350 for $50-$60 less, but personal choice I would go all out...that is just me though.

This is just my opinion, but I would not bother with Win8. Win10 is coming down the line soon enough and, from what I hear, will be pretty nice. Therefore, I would get the CPU and wait for Win10.

RAM>>HDD>>GPU>>CPU>>Win10

Note to think on--When you put in new HDD, you will be reloading Win7 and all your programs (You "can" clone, but I prefer fresh install). Holding off on SSD, if you plan on utilizing one, means you will have to reload them again later.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok sounds good then, I will be ordering the RAM and HDD tonight, then look into the GPU/CPU for later on. As for the HDD I think ill go for the black instead of the blue for the 5year warranty and start fresh on that.

Funny right before posting this got a BSOD while trying to play BF3 lol...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Best of luck to you:) And you probably know this, but do not want to assume: If you fresh install, do not have your old HDD plugged in when putting in new one. Take out old one, install new one in primary HDD bay, then do your Win7 install along with putting all your programs and games on it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks and will do. What if I can get win8 for free from a friend? Should I use that or win7?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube