add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

second draft of my build - I think It looks a bit better this time.

sschmidt51388

61 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/36PjsY

This will be a gaming rig for the most part, and it is also the first computer I've ever built . Part of me thinks that the graphics card is a bit overkill since i'm not using an i7 processor, which makes me think I could bump it down and it would still run ok. I Don't want to to get more expensive then it already is, and getting it down in price would probably be nice. I've got a red/black color scheme going and would like not to break the colors either. any advice is appreciated.

edit: I should probably say that I dont plan on overclocking this thing as it seems a bit over my head right now, which is why i Chose not to get a cooling system in there. when I feel more comfortable I might do it, and then I will add a Cooler. If that sounds stupid let them know. From what I've gathered a Cooling System would be overkill with what im doing.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Changed your graphics card to top AMD one and less money. Also adjusted your storage as do not think 1 240GB is going to be enough. Can go with 128GB SSD for OS and put couple games on it with everything else on HDD. Also swapped out your PSU for a better one and less money. I looked at other MOBO's for less money, but for the $30 more, the one in your build is nice.

Someone else might come in and give you an idea for a great intel processor for less. You can also think about AMD CPU's. In any case, with fixes, about $100 less.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $85.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $55.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $299.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $122.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans $27.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1084.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 00:58 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

great idea on the HD. Its a good idea to keep the SSD pretty clean anyway right?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

New SSD's are wonderful and better made. They last long even with writes/re-writes. Ideally, a good 256GB one with a 1TB HDD. You put the OS and most-used programs on SSD with all your documents, pics, music, and programs you use less frequently on HDD.

You could bump your SSD to 256GB for a little more. I think it would be worth it and something you should think about for another $35.00

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct256m550ssd1

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

my next question is kinda more on the aesthetic's of the comp, but since I haven't built anything before I dont know. Will a micro mobo look wierd in a mid atx case? My logic getting the micro was that I dont really have much to plug into(a gfx card, and 2 sticks of ram). at the very most I would *** another gfx card and more ram, which would be fine with the micro. I Just didnt want to have a MoBo with a bunch of empty slots

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know how attached you are to that case, but think about doing something like the build below. It upgrades your GPU to a GTX 970, uses a gorgeous case for your red theme, and gives you better airflow (higher cfm) with the two fans I added. Put one Aerocool on rear, use the one that comes with case for front, and put the other Aerocool top/front/bottom...your choice.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can hold off on SSD. Reason I put in now is because it is much easier to do with new build than doing later. Why install OS twice and have to re-format HDD and re-install everything again?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $85.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $55.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card $329.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Aerocool Shark 120mm Red 82.6 CFM 120mm Fan $10.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Aerocool Shark 120mm Red 82.6 CFM 120mm Fan $10.98 @ OutletPC
Other Win 8.1 Full Retail Buy in a store $120.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1068.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 02:42 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

And here is a link if you want to check the case out. Smaller than the one you chose and goes with your red theme. It is your computer...make sure you get what will make you happy.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-spec-01-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

im pretty set on the SSD. the fast load times seem pretty cool. interesting idea about the case and GFX though. something to think about. thanks for all your help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube