add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first PC Build (unoriginal title, I Know!)

spratters53

61 months ago

So I'm planning on building my new pc as I want to switch from Console to PC (for the most part anyway) when gaming. My Budget is approximately £1000 although I'm willing to go a bit over that if I have to to get the best PC for my money, that is also well futureproofed. This will also be a work PC for web development (although typically that's not cpu or gpu intensive). I'd like to have the option to record gaming videos while playing too and to edit them if I fancy as it's always something i've been interested in.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £173.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £25.44 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £110.84 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £54.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £90.00 @ Aria PC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £40.39 @ Aria PC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card £269.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £74.39 @ Aria PC
Power Supply Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £77.99 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer £39.38 @ CCL Computers
Monitor BenQ GW2760HS 60Hz 27.0" Monitor £168.32 @ Scan.co.uk
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter -
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard £77.98 @ Scan.co.uk
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1203.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 13:01 GMT+0000

Apparently, everything fits with eachother, although i'd like to know if something is incompatible. There are also certain parts I would do without until I have the money (such as they keyboard, 4tb hhd, the blu-ray drive). What I'd like to know is, is there any way i can save money without losing out on performance. Being that I've never built a pc before, i'm aware that i may have picked more expensive parts because they "sound better" when they really might not have much benefit (although i've done my best not to). I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks guys!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a very nice gaming rig. Here's what I noticed:

You don't need thermal paste. The cooler with come with it so unless you really feel the need to buy some separately, save 3 quid.

You don't need 16GB of RAM for gaming, but if you are also going to be doing video editing or heavy multitasking for web development I can see the need for it.

The i5-4690K is a champ of a processor for gaming. If you really want to get serious with the video recording and editing stuff then you may want to make the jump up to an i7 as it's multiple threads will serve you well for media editing.

I feel like you're spending way too much on storage. Do you need 4TB? Even if you do, I would just get a 4TB HDD instead of a hybrid drive. You already have an SSD in your system, so if you want to add bulk storage, just do it with plain HDDs.

Lastly I would upgrade your PSU. For such an expensive system I would be worried about using a cheaper PSU. Get something that is 80+ Gold.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. It hanks for letting me know about the paste, I didn't realise. 16gb of ram I probably don't need but strangely it was the cheapest ram cards by far and while not particularly fast for ram, it seems good for £70 (the usual price for 1 8gb ram card). I have a laptop with an i7 processor too so it's definitely not essential for me to have an i7 in my pc too but I plan to use my pc most for speed comfort and also future upgradability. I've changed my storage too, right down to 750gb. You questioning me made me think that if I want mass storage then it's probably better to have a 4tb external or even a media server if I want that down the line. I don't really need more than 1tb in my computer.

I've updated my psu. However, what's the difference between gold and bronze? I just thought if it covered the wattage I needed then it wouldn't really matter too much what rating the unit got?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a laptop with an i7 processor too

difference being that the laptop i7s, I believe, have only 2 physical cores and have 4 via HT whereas the desktop version has 4 physical with 8 via HT. Basically, the desktop i7 will help immensely with video editing and stuff.

Also, this drive will do you better at ~£4 more

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex

what's the difference between gold and bronze?

I believe 80+ Gold is much more efficient under a certain load (like up to 90% efficiency) than 80+ Bronze.

I just thought if it covered the wattage

Brands and series matter, too, IMO. Certain brands/series are known for using high quality parts whereas others are known for cheaping out in some of their units

Furthermore, wouldn't use the RM because this reason here. Would get one of the SuperNova G2s if you can

Rest is solid

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome. Thanks. I think I'll stick with the i5 anyway. If I really need to upgrade then I can do that in a few years (or wait for new generation of processors).

Final question that I forgot to ask. What is it that allows multiple displays? I see the motherboard has 1 hdmi but the graphics card has like 6. Again, it's something that I won't want for a while as 3 27" monitors won't be cheap but it's something I'd like in the future. Will this motherboard be able to cope or would I have to upgrade that as well when the time comes?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

You've made good changes to your build, nice. Yeah, the i5-4690K is faster than many laptop i7s, even in multithreaded applications. And you're right, you can always upgrade. Your GPU will have no problem using 3 displays. You should be outputting video from the GPU anyway, otherwise you'll be using the integrated graphics on the CPU. The motherboard won't care if you use 1 display or 3 so you're fine there.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

What is it that allows multiple displays

Not to sure myself. I think as far as using the board's outputs it depends on how many displays the CPU itself can support

What I do know is that if you're just planning on running multiple displays and not actually playing games on the machine then you can usually just go grab one of those cheaper GPUs solely for the multi-display stuff

Will this motherboard be able to cope or would I have to upgrade that as well when the time comes?

Your board appears to support

• 1 VGA
  • 1 DVI-I
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 DisplayPort

However, the 4690k seems to only support up to 3 displays at once so you'd only be able to use 3 of those

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

So it is he motherboard that handles displays or is it the graphics card? If I wanted to play games on 3 displays with "seamless" gameplay and screens, how would I go about that using my current set up. Using hdmi, dvi and vega seems impractical as they are all different display types and therefore give different resolutions and expectedly prefer different monitors.

Your comment and wge's before are a little conflicting and definitely confusing for a newbie builder.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Those other people already mentioned what I would have, but I just came by to say The CM QuickFire TK is a great keyboard, I used it before I got a K70, and it was wonderful if you don't mind the compact size.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I specifically chose it because of its compact size. My brother has a ducky but they only seem to sell blues and I specifically wanted red as I don't like the click sound.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube