add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[Help] Need final advice for my build before I start buying everything.

TheHogDog

61 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £130.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £25.44 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £57.62 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £58.69 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £90.00 @ Aria PC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £40.39 @ Aria PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card £150.00 @ Kustom PCs
Case Cooler Master K280 ATX Mid Tower Case £30.92 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £46.09 @ Aria PC
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £10.46 @ Aria PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £640.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 17:28 GMT+0000

This is my final build for my gaming build to play current and future games smoothly. Any final advice or suggestions? I need to start buying the parts as soon as possible. Maybe a better case? etc.. Budget is around £650 which I have pretty much got to.

New: (Took the cooler away as I'm not overclocking and people said that I may as well use the stock cooler which comes with the intel to see how it goes and possibly buy a CPU cooler in the future, and up'd my CPU to a 4690)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £162.18 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £62.00 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £58.69 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £90.00 @ Aria PC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £40.39 @ Aria PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card £150.00 @ Kustom PCs
Case Cooler Master K280 ATX Mid Tower Case £30.92 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £46.09 @ Aria PC
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £10.46 @ Aria PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £650.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 01:29 GMT+0000

The only thing that I am wary of is the case and the PSU

Thanks.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

you don't need the hyper evo as the 4460 is a locked cpu so the stock cooler is ok.Also try getting a 750 watt psu ffor the R9 280x. You could problably make it with a more efficient 600 watt gold psu. The recommended one is 750. Other than that this is a great build. :)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't say that you need more than 600 watt for any config with a single gpu. In fact, running overclocked 8350 with r9 280x took 350watts from the wall under full load. Measured using the wattmeter.

Evo is fine. It's only 25 pounds, but it would be much more comfortable than a stock cooler.

If you decide to get a better case, get one with a side window.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

if you read my comment youll see I told the op that with a better 600 watts psu would be ok, but he's buying a bronze which is not that good. That's the reason manufacturers exaggerate the recommended one as people usually don't buy good units.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

No, i read it, and the reason why i still commented on it is because bronze certified is still pretty good. I mean, it's evga. it delivers 49 amps on 12v rail and has about 85% efficiency. I say it's a good unit.

Manufacturers usually watch out for cheap no-name brands like coolmax or thermal master and whatever else there is.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

So this would be better?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr

than my current PSU

Curiously enough... with the witcher 3 specs coming out, would this build be able to run it? http://thewitcher.com/news/view/927

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

My point was that you don't need another psu :) Your current one is just fine. Well, unless you are planning on running crossfire, that is.

Yep, it most certainly will be able to run it. Although i'm not sure what those recommended specs are for. Max settings, 60fps 1080p? Doubt it. I remember, back in autumn they said that you'll need at least double 780ti to max out all the settings. So i don't think it is possible to optimize the game that much in such short time.

Anyway, with some tweaking i believe you will be able to run the game on mostly high settings with 60 fps.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I respect your opinion but still that evga is tier 3 (for me not that pretty good), If it were me I would buy a gold 600 watts.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand that you would rather be safe than sorry, that's why you want to go with gold, but you have to remember that there's an intel haswell locked cpu. Not overclockable. And r9 280x needs only 30a on the 12v. This psu delivers 49, evga 650w gold delivers 53 amps, so that's not that big of a difference. And that's still not enough for crossfire, so there's no use, really.

And evga is a reliable brand. That's why i'd rather spend the money somewhere else, like a case or peripherals.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The thread got so long i couldn't post my reply. Yes, 4690k is a version of the same chip with higher timings. If the price isn't too high, you can get it.

You already changed the motherboard. Yes, it's more recent.

If you want an ability to upgrade to broadwell, you can get msi z97 mate. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate It's blue, but you can get kingston beast black ram sticks http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory, take off the red accents from the inwin case or use corsair case and install some blue fans.

The cooler is compatible with corsair case. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2264873/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-corsair-spec.html#14811696

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

This is really weird, because pcpartpicker says that spec-01 isn't compatible, while spec-03 is, but they have the same cooler clearance - 157mm.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean by "it's blue"

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It's got a blue color scheme. You can see for yourself on the picture.

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

Oh, I thought it meant something technical that you had to have a certain type of ram stick to go with it aha

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha that's okay

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube