add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build ever editing/gaming!

notagoodbuilder

61 months ago

Hello everyone, this is my first time building a pc. I want a build that is awesome for mostly video editing but also some gaming. I have watched tutorials online on how to put a computer together and its pretty nerve wrecking especially when you're spending a lot of money. I don't want anything to go wrong so any tips would be helpful! Since this is my first time building do you think I should just buy from a pre built site like origin/ironside pcs or save a lot of money and hope I don't make a mistake and fry anything and not have warrantys? I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. halp.

I will be doing a lot of after effects/3d modeling/color grading(da vinci resolve).

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zFP2ZL

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need a 980. A 970 will suffice.

Also, you only have 500GB of SSD. I would reccommend some sort of hard drive.

Don't get prebuilts. They're overpriced and you actually spend more money on the components then if you spent it yourself.

A good cooler is the Swiftech H220-X or H240 is one that I reccomend. It's pricey (around $150) but is a very good liquid cooler. If you're afraid of leaks than a Noctua Nh-D14 will suffice.

Hope this helps!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help!!

I'm going with the 980 because I will be filming in 4k sometime soon.

I have a 1 terabyte hdd from an old machine that I'm going to use. The 500gb samsung ssd is just for os/programs.

The only reason I was considering the prebuilts is because they have warrantys and I'm afraid I'll fry something or put it in wrong.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're going 4k in the immediate future a 295x2 is the current king. If it's still far out for you it would be better to wait for coming up generations and getting a 970 instead.

AMD is set to release the 390 with stacked memory soon and would be worth the wait for 4k.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That's probably a good idea to wait for better gpu when I do start shooting in 4k. I think I'll switch to the 970! Thanks for the advice!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

wait until the next series of Maxwell cards from Nvidia. they'll have DisplayPort 1.3 and support 4K at 60Hz standard.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your budget really at 3K? Or you just can't get off that 5960X? Believe me, it will be always overkill, and there are better chances that you might want a mainstream build or perhaps a 5820K.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I have been saving up for a long time to buy a pc. I've been editing using my 6 year old laptop. I was originally going to buy a mac pro but I did some research and decided that was way too expensive for what you were getting.

The reason I am getting the 5960x is because I will be rendering a lot of video. Adobe premiere uses the cpu when exporting/rendering and I need videos to export/render very quickly due to time schedules with certain projects. I don't think it will be an overkill. So I decided that would be a good option.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It's better to go X99 at this point IMO.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

DDR4 speeds are waaaaay better for editing duties.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

DDR4 compared to DDR3 doesn't really make a difference at this point.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

With the budget you allocated this would be much better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor $1004.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum High-Grade 5g Thermal Paste $14.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $307.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $279.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $279.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $219.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $162.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $359.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $209.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $57.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) $129.00 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $3217.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 18:25 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube