add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first gaming computer build with $1000 budget.

Michaeva

61 months ago

This is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Michaeva/saved/

I want to be able to play Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 on it with Ultra specs if possible. The only thing I'm worried about is the CPU that seems to get a bit hot with the stock fans. Please tell me what you think of the build from an experience point of view, or what you think I can improve/omit. Thanks!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

If you're worried about heat switch over to Intel. As for RAM you need two sticks for dual channel or the system will slow down.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $176.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $44.99 @ Directron
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $85.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card $288.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Enermax ECA3280A-BR ATX Mid Tower Case $69.98 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $76.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $19.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor $158.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $992.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 15:34 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 2 points

The system will not slow down due to being single channel. Where do you get the false information?

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

You effectively cut memory bandwidth in half with one stick.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, you are correct. But there will be no performance difference for him. It is better to just get and add 8 gb DIMMs as money allows. Dual channel only sees an increase in performance when you can saturate the 64-bit memory bus. Gaming will practically never do it and the real increases are seen in Simulations, video editing, and servers. Here is a good source to back me up. For this budget it really doesn't matter, it is just best to get the cheapest one available.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

True it doesn't effect gaming that much but if OP ever decides to edit some home videos or game recordings it's a good to be ready for it.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Very true, right now with prices so low it is almost best to just get 16 GB (2x8GB), that way you can max out the MOBO over time without having to throw away smaller DIMMs. As for this budget build it might be best to stick with AMD, the price to performance can't be beat.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 2 points

That cooler has a 90mm fan. It will ramp up to 2800rpm and will be no better than the stock cooler. Get 212 evo instead. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you! How does the rest of the build look?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, it's adequate. But if you plan on overclocking the cpu, you should get a motherboard with a decent power delivery system. The best for it is 990 chipset. Also the psu raises some concerns, but it should get the job done.

What are your thoughts on upgrading the system?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

This is a system I built for my friend Ben. It solves all issues you brought up kirkjohnson and it allows for upgrades minus a seoond GPU. I can, and so can Kirk, explain each part to you if you want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor $139.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $121.98 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $130.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $169.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $279.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $991.55
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 15:48 EST-0500
  • 61 months ago
  • 2 points

This looks great! Thank you for linking this. Would it be alright if I downgraded the Ram to one 8GB stick (and upgrade later?) From what was said previously in this thread it seems as though the system won't slow down due to a single channel only because I'm primarily focusing on gaming.

Also how do I judge if the power supply is the most efficient for my build?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

1 8GB stick would be fine! For the power supply, I would choose it after you have chosen the rest of the parts so you can see the wattage needed. I would go with a Corsair or Seasonic PSU. I highly reccomend the 850 Pro as it is an awesome drive and comes with a 10 Year warranty

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Not really much need for 16gb ram for gaming
  • No point of a samsung 850 pro when you can get something like a crucial m500 for like $80.
  • Using the saved money from those 2 would easily allow a gtx 970 which would perform better.
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

850 pro is a far superior drive. It nearly saturates SATA 3 plus with W8.1 it can boot in around 5-8 seconds. The 16gb is nice for those who like to multitask and want headroom for future games. Plus the above build was for a friend who also edits video, I just linked it as a good reference.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube